Cut time note values

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Leftybass12, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

This is my first post so bear with me people.
    Anyway, I know how to count music and all, but one problem I seem to have an awful lot is in cut time or 2/2 time. Now I do know that in cut time a whole note is worth 2 beats, a half note is worth 1 beat, a quater note is worth 1/2 a beat, and and eigth note is like a 32nd note.

My question is though what is a dotted notes worth in cut time?? Is a dotted half note worth one and a half beats? What's a dotted quarter note worth in cut time??

If anyone could help me, that would be awesome
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Pretty close. The eight notes would be like sixteenth.

As for the dotted notes, they time would be cut in half also. USUALLY, dotted notes come in pairs with a shorter note. So a Dotted half would likely be with a quarter and in cut time that combo would be like a dotted quarter and eighth. The dotted quarter eighth (in 4/4) would then be (in cut time) like a dotted eighth and sixteenth. see?

Also.... as you are reading music remember that the idea of 'cut time' is not always just 'faster'. A lot of times the composer/arranger is trying to convey a feeling of 2 rather than four... so the tempo might not be so fast, but the underlying rhythm would be different.

BTW, meters other than 4/4 often do things different than cut time. 3/4 can be taken "In One'... which means that there is only one beat to a measure (this means rhythmic feel and speed). 9/8 is very often played in 3 beats to the measure. 6/8 is more often than not played with 2 beats in a measure (most standard marches are done this way). 12/8 is very often played in 4 beats to a measure (lots of rock and roll is done this way.... even if its written in 4/4).

As with other aspects of written music, its a suggestion of how the music should sound... not a mathmatical representation of anything. In other words... always go with the sound.
  3. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Thank you so much! It really helped
  4. alapantera

alapantera

adding a dot to a note increases it's value to 1.5 times it's original value. this would still apply in cut time.

ex: a dotted half note in 4/4 would normally equal 3 beats, whereas in cut time (2/2) it would equal 1.5 beats.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Leftybass12

Leftybass12