1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cutting a daisy chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by trowaclown, Dec 18, 2013.

1. trowaclown

trowaclown

Hi everyone,

I've got a OneSpot daisy chain with 8 outlets. Right now, I'm running 2 adapters for power, one at 18V and one at 9V.

Can I cut the daisy chain in half, and use one with the female tip to power the 18V chain, and buy a male-to-female adapter to use with the other half of the daisy chain?
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
  3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    But you will want to insulate the exposed wire so that it doesn't arc if it comes into contact with metal or water. Electrical tape, or maybe a non-conductive adhesive.
  4. trowaclown

trowaclown

Awesome, that's good to know.

Btw, lowfreq, I can't find any female-to-female adapters. Do these things even exist, or should I slice the wire and do a little rewiring myself instead for the second half of the daisy chain?
  5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    It wouldn't be difficult to do as long as you get the +/- right, but I doubt it will be any easier to source the raw connectors than it is to find a f/f adapter. Honestly I'd just spend a few bucks on a second daisy chain. Probably cheaper and definitely easier than hunting down the parts to do what you're thinking about.
  6. AndyLES

AndyLES

Get this instead. http://dcvoltage.net/powerchain

I've used them the past couple of years on different pedalboards for guitar and bass and they work great.
  7. trowaclown

trowaclown

Yes, yes, good points. Thanks gentlemen!
  8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Daisy chain cables are so cheap, just get another one, and tie up the excess with a cable tie.
  9. shenanigans

shenanigans

What I've done in the past is strip back the jacket, cut the conductors to two different lengths, fold them both back on the cable and put some heat shrink over the end of the cable. This way you don't get any of that adhesive ickiness trying to get all over your board.

This is especially awesome for when you break down and get an isolated supply and only want one or two pedals on each outlet.

Edit::: If you need that female bit, just get another daisy chain, unless half the reason you're doing it is to better understand your electronics.