cutting a nut narrower

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SeattleSunn, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

I have a 76 Jazz that I like a lot. I also have a bass that is wider at the nut. I am used to the string spacing and find on some passages and double stops I would like the strings to be closer.

Anyone cut a new nut with slots that are closer than what the neck width is set up for? I am not sure what the drawbacks would be. reaching the e string would not be any harder on the left hand, and the strings would be closser.

Any experince with this?:confused:

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Do you mean to keep the E in the same spot? I certainly would not do this, as you'd get a bunch of unused fretboard real estate under your palm. If you would keep them centered on the fretboard, this is probably the most "correct" way to do it. Any non-centered (skewed?) shift would result in poor bridge alignment, as well as poor pickup response (in theory).

3. grisezd

grisezd

Am considering the same on a bass of mine. I don't see a downside.

4. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

Sorry, I meant keeping them centered on the fretboard. I don't want to introduce a twist in to the neck. I just want the strings a little closer.

I don't like the strings close to the edge of the neck anyway, I have slipped of the edge of a fret on the g string more than once.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I suppose I could cut a new nut and try it. I could always go to the old spacing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

I do this on all my basses. Recommended!

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Yes, I had the same issue with a G string slipping off the edge
    of the fretboard.
    I had 2 luthiers look at it and both agreed that the G string spacing on the nut was off causing it to get pulled off the neck while playing.
    Had a new nut cut and adjusted, no more problem.

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I don't see why this would be any problem, you're just "scrunching" the strings a few mm's closer to the center of the fretboard... ar one end. The effect down over the pickups by the bridge would be tiny, inconsequential.

9. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

Thanks for the responses. I am not sure why I didn't think to do this a long time ago. I will try it on a bass I am having a neck swapped on and see how it goes.