Cutting Inlay

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Mar 12, 2014.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Do you all have any books/tutorials references on how to cut pearl for inlay? I've made a couple of attempts but cannot seem to get a nice clean cut.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

4. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    Wonderful inlay, it really made my day! :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Holy Cats!
  7. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

That's awesome!! And yeah I pretty much have the same setup. I have a board with a small slit for the jewelers blade to go through and hold the pearl as I cut. I can't seem to get a nice clean/straight cut.
  8. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Thanks guys. :)

Hmm, I haven't done a lot of inlay (actually only 2 now), so I don't really know what could be wrong. I try to get the blade sitting in the saw as tight as I can (although, that's pretty hard to do with such a small blade), cut pretty slowly, and just try not to push it and let the blade do all the work. If you're trying to do really straight lines, then maybe that's just harder to do with a small blade than curvy lines.

Is it something that can be sanded or filed smooth?
  9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Awesome.

Glad to see someone is using a mask while cutting inlays (or anything for that matter) for a change as well.

While the saw frames and the blades may look the same, there are IME HUGE differences.

For the greatest stifness, get the one with the shallowest throat, and if possible, the design with a sliding action so
    You can somewhat adjust the lenght of the blade (and to reuse sharp, but broken in half blades ;)).

Some sort of filing/sanding is IMLE also required if a smooth surface is the requirement.
    Usually it isn't required though, there's always a gap between the inlay and the surounding material, and that is filled with something that'll for the most part blend the fine saw marks.

Regards
    Sam