1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cutting Sub Frequencies before Amp & FOH

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jd_watt, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Hi Everyone, I've heard it asked of high frequencies, but does anyone use a low shelving eq or cut low frequencies (20-50hz) completely out of their signal before sending the signal to the amp or foh mix? I've noticed a few of my pedals respond well with those frequencies cut, and the overdrive is less "wooly", but I don't want to loss all of the basses impact by cutting them. I understand sound operators generally cut here anyway to make room for the boom of the kick drum.

What do you think: are there benefits to getting rid of these frequencies before they even hit the amp or FOH? Thanks!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Yes there are benefits to using a high pass filter such as the one Fdeck puts out. Some basses have subtonics in their output that add nothing to the signal. These take a lot of power away from the music that you want to amplify. Basses with Piezo pickups ors notorious for this.
  3. jd_watt

jd_watt

I experimented with it once at practice and was much happier with some of that super low-end clutter being reduced. Right now I only have two boss pedals (GEB-7 and an old parametric) to work with before the amp. The parametric sweeps down around 25hz and the GEB-7 has a notch for 50hz (with a rather wide bell). The pf500's bass knob is centered at 40hz I believe.