Cutting the tweeter out of my bass cab.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jordan S., Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Hey guys,

I'm using a Hartke VX410 cab as a practice amp at home, and the tweeter is bugging me. Can I just cut the wires going to the tweeter and put a switch in without changing the impedance or having any other problems? or do I have to put the switch in before the high pass filter?

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Do you want nothing from the tweeter, or less? If the tweeter is the piezoelectric type and there's nothing else associated with it, you can cut it without affecting the overall impedance, at all. If it's a dynamic driver (voice coil and diaphragm, like anything other than a piezoelectric), it would need a crossover of some sort and if you want to decrease the level, you could add an L-Pad, either fixed, or variable. Parts Express sells these and they're not expensive. You would need to follow the diagram for connecting it and you would need a high power version. Most cabinets have more wire to the tweeter than needed, so installation would be pretty easy.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-l-pads/306

3. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Your question is about electrically cutting power off to the tweeter one way or the other and for that question, I don't have an answer but................

I can say that if you have your amp eq below 7,000 hz (more or less), the crossover has no signal to even send to the tweeter and it's pretty much sitting there in the cab inactive. So why even mess with it?

7,000 hz is plenty high enough for most bass players and if you're wanting to kill your tweeter, eq out it's frequency range and it won't bug you anymore.

Some of us bass players are more than happy with a 4,000 hz high end and you might be one of them too.

My tweeter is a waste of money because on the back of my bass cab, I have a +/- db dial and my tweeter is off. Don't need it. Don't use it.

Good luck on disarming it.

4. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Why is it bugging you? After all, it does not make any sound itself.

Just remember the moment you go DI, whatever is bugging you from the tweeter will all be there. ;) Possibly with the exception of amp hiss.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nysbob

nysbob

I understand and support the desire to eliminate a tweeter from a bass cab. :p

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. But I also agree its easier to EQ it out than to physically remove it.

8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

+1

Snip the wires and never look back :D

9. dmac1961

dmac1961

Media:
    Or just crank the treble and the master and play a few notes.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

+10000000!

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    On/off switch before the filter and everything.

Or, disconnect the whole mess and wire straight from jack to woofers, but leave the tweeter mounted just to plug that hole.

Your nominal impedance will remain the same.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Stuff some foam into the tweeter to cut its contribution to the cabinet.

13. bobcruz

bobcruz

I've also used black neoprene cut to fit over the tweeter and screwed down with the tweeter mounting screws. You can use thicker or thinner neoprene (I used old mouse pads) to tailor the amount of dampening.

14. Jawbone

Jawbone

Don't CUT - pull the speaker lead lugs off the speaker and tape for protection. Then when you change your mind you just reconnect.

15. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Thank for all the help guys.

So my amps rated at 4ohms minimum, and the cab has 4x 16ohm woofers wired in parallel, which results in a 4ohm load to the amp, just right. I'm not sure what type of tweeter it is, but it's also wired in parallel, along with its high pass filter. So I figure that I can install the switch before the high pass filter and the cab will still have a minimum load of 4ohms (regardless of the switch position), because the woofers themselves already provide the 4ohm load?

Am I even close?

16. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Don't know how well you can see this, but here's how I severely dampened the tweeter on my 210 MB combo. Piece of cloth screwed into place over the tweeter using the mounting screws. That makes it easily reversible in case of resale.

ForumRunner_20121109_172504.png