D string always sounds flat

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RayMan34, Mar 6, 2014.

1. RayMan34

RayMan34

Hi Guys

I was tuning my bass last night and I noticed that no matter what I did with the D string it always sound a little flat. The tuner reported that it was infact D but as the note died out there was a bit of a warble as it degraded, almost as if it was going out of tune. The other strings seem to decay perfectly but D seemed to sound odd.

Does anyone know what this might be? Strings are fairly new, they came with the bass which is three months old. It's a SBMM Ray34.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

The tuner will tell you if its going flat. Cause could be not enough windings on the machine heads,core separation,or a number of other things. Confirm that it is actually going flat first.

3. RayMan34

RayMan34

Yeah as the note is sustained, the tune reports it falls flat.

4. mongo2

mongo2

I'll add witness points to that list.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Have you had and played this bass for 3 months and only now noticed this? Could very probably be a string at the end of its life span.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Very probable. I know as a new player, I spent a ton of time playing my bass, which will consume the life of your strings. Strings know not days or weeks, but hours of play time.

8. mrmills

mrmills

When you pluck a string (with a pick/fingers, etc) you will stretch it a little bit. this stretch will make the pitch a little sharp, which will go flat as the string rings.

The amount it goes sharp does depend on how hard you play but should not be excessive. If it is, I would say the string is getting old.

9. RayMan34

RayMan34

Ah ok. It could be the strings then, I have played a lot since I had the bass.

Whats the typical life span for strings then?

10. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

No such thing a typical. Round wound strings tend to get replaced more frequently than flat wound strings. Some folks sweat a lot and that can contribute greatly to shortening the life span of strings.

11. sotua

sotua

Depends on brand, type, and player (some people have sweat that is harder on the strings than other people). Also consider that factory strings usually aren't exactly new (people use it to demo, or have been installed for a long time and suffered a bit from weather, or both). Replace the strings with a fresh set and see if that fixes your D string.

12. RSBBass

RSBBass

I would guess strings first.

13. mongo2

mongo2

It doesn't happen often but I've had bad strings straight out of the package.

Also try not to twist the string when installing it.

14. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Sounds like loose winding on the string.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yep and yep; when one string acts weird and sounds out of tune no matter what you do, it's usually the string itself that's bad.

16. Sorken

Sorken

To give you some prespective.

I replace my strings at 2-3 month intervalls, and have the bass setup 2 times a year, one time in the summer and one in the winter. But i only spend a around 6-9 hours a week practicing with my band and and maybe another 4-5 hours practicing at home.

At 3 months the strings are usually in pretty bad shape. 2 months they are still "okay" to my ears.

17. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Banned