1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D String buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lalo140, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Lalo140

Lalo140

Hello, I have a problem with my D String, i have a MIM fender Jazz bass and well, yesterday I bought new strings, DR strings, really liked the sound and all the strings have that ''new'' feeling and sound..except the D string, I'm really not a pro in strings,but there's a difference in sound that I can notice and it buzzes...the other three strings sound really good, When I plugg in the bass, the D string sound it's even more notable and different from the others. Can you help guys?

2. lowstrung5

lowstrung5 Supporting Member

1. Raise the height of the D string at the bridge saddle. It may be too low and is closer to the Pickup which makes it more pominent sounding and buzz.

2. The nut may be too low on the D string.

3. If all else fails.....take it to a guitar shop for a setup. Usually not that expensive.

3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Or, it could be a bad string.

4. unclebass

unclebass

does it buzz when fretted, or only when playing open string

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lalo140

Lalo140

It buzz when fretted and Open

7. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Reinstall the old D string, if you still have it.

8. mystic38

mystic38

i suspect the nut is too low on the D string.. if this did not happen with your old string you may have purchased lighter (narrower) strings which could fall further into a badly made groove in the nut.