1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

d:voteTM 4099B

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Jan 2, 2014.

1. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

2. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

3. tappingtrance

Cannot get there for some reason. I did a search before I posted could not find anything. Thanks. I will simplify my search.
  4. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

I just did an advanced search for 4099b (title only).

I love mine, it sounds formidable, super clear and punchy as hell, but I only use it for FOH. I haven't had much luck using it through an amp or PA speaker on stage. I was able to get much more volume before feedback from the Troll mic when a friend plugged his into my Clarus+/MAS45 rig. These two mics could not be more different from one another. The DPA is super hi-fi with a huge frequency spectrum. The Troll is very warm and a little dark but still clear. There are a few threads on the Troll as well.
  5. tappingtrance

Thanks, yeah I got to those threads as well, then got sidetracked into the Troll!!
  6. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Depending on your needs, I would consider staying sidetracked!

7. tappingtrance

yep I get it !
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

+2 I've had some success with the DPA 4099 into a powered speaker, but little success running it through an amplifier. Even with it's amazing feedback control, it can only do so much. With microphones, I inclined to believe that less ( gain) is more, which is counter intuitive to what you'd think the case would be.

Ric

P.S. I find that to be the same for the Ehrlund EAP and Preamp.
  9. YTFC2010

YTFC2010

I had nothing but problems with the DPA 4099B on stage.

Don't get me wrong, if you're on a stage on your own, the sound quality is fantastic and truly replicates the sound of your bass, however, I found that once my band mates joined me on stage, all I ever had was feedback. It was completely impractical.

I used it on small, cramped stages at local cafe's and clubs, to large theatre stages in London, and always had problems. I soon gave up on it and couldn't get rid of it quick enough.

I went a got myself a Wilson K4, and it's the best purchase I think I have ever made in my life. For my bass, the Wilson K4 is just stellar.
  10. Vunz

Vunz

For me, de DPA worked wonderfully. Of course, there are several things which you need to consider, such as amp placement, your own position relative to your bandmates, kind of amp and speaker, etc., but it can definitely work. I've used one for years (mic only, no pickup, almost always without PA support). The only reason that I don't use it anymore is that I now have an even better microphone: a Schoeps.

BTW: the sound samples that I've heard of the Troll didn't really appeal to me, but that's me...

Cheers,
    Vincent
  11. neddyrow

neddyrow

I had one for a short stint. It sounds great but I could only use it for a few shows a year. I play lots of bar and coffee shop gigs with my bluegrass band and I'd be crazy to try to bring it to those shows. It's just too sensitive in places like that. I love it when we get to play outdoor shows on bigger stages it those gigs are much fewer than the bar gigs. I'm sticking to my full circle. Less feedback issues and less planning and setup time.

I did use it to record once and worked better than I thought. I move a lot when I play and with the mic attached to my bass, it gave a more consistent sound. But I played into an AKG C1000 which I use to record other instruments and it was awesome! Very surprising. I want to try that mic live sometime.