1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewound on a RA Mouse?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger

Anybody try these on a Rob Allen Mouse? Looking for fit and sound info since they seem to be (soundwise) in between the Rotos and the LaBellas. I have been using TI flats on my Mouse for the last several years with good result and wonder if these new strings from D'Addario will work also.

2. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

After trying every kind of tape on my Rob Allens and Shuker, I'm still partial to the LaBellas, but agree on with the sound of the DAs falling between the Rotos and the LaBellas.

Tried them on an MB2. Can you get the shorter scale for the Mouse? Might be a good experiment.

3. kevmoga

kevmoga

Changed strings on my Mouse recently, second time in the 2 years I've owned it. In the past, it seems like it took about a month for the zing to go away and a more solid thump to take shape. This time, I can't get the zing to go away, especially on the D and G. I saw an ad in Bass Player touting the newly redesigned LaBella 760N, also noticed the D string was slightly smaller on this set that on the last one I got from Rob. Any info on the "redesign"? Is this my imagination or have others noticed anything different about the strings?

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Not La Bella, but I am successfully using Status Graphite black nylon tapewounds on my RA Deep 4 fretless. Exquisite tone and feel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

No ,have not tried the D'Addario's.
    I have been using LaBella's & recently tried
    GHS tapes. GHS are more pliable, no doubt different gauge.
    I like them, cheaper too.
    Carvin had a good price on them, go figure.

7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger

Bassstsringsonline has a short scale and a medium scale set.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes and in stock.

Some technical info:

Short Scale = 32" from Ball End to Silk
    Medium Scale = 34" from Ball End to Silk
    Long Scale = 36.25" from Ball End to Silk

La Bella also makes Short / Medium Scale Tapewounds as well as Rotosound Tru-Bass 88's.

GHS are only available in one length and they measure 38" from Ball End to Silk.

9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger

I picked up a set of the Short Scales to try on the 30" scale Mouse (thanks Bassstringsonline). They sound great, but the silk is wound 1/2 inch too long for the Mouse's string-thru bridge design. The silk extends into the nut and maybe a 1/4 inch into the first fret position. I am going to play them a bit like this, but I would suggest trying the medium scale set if you want to use them with the Rob Allen short scale. I suspect the winding length of the string will go onto the E string post just a little, but it's better than the other option. I had the Beatle Bass set of TI flats on there and they wound up on the E tuner also.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    So it sounds like you need medium scale strings...

Short Scale have 32" winding ball to silk
    Medium Scale are 34" winding ball to silk

T-I short scale flats are actually medium scale length at 34"

11. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger

Yes. Unfortunately that will have to wait until I can invest again.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

I just ordered some D'Ad Nylons for my Boulder Creek EBR3-Fretless 5er. The bass was delivered Friday. Just messing with it for a couple days, man those D'Ad Bronze strings it came with are trashing my fingertips. So I parked the bass and searched "acoustic" and "nylon" under STRINGS here on TB. Of course I found so much information and differing opinions on the variety of strings TBers use/recommend.

This is my first ABG so I was not really looking for "What's the best ABG strings.. "for metal?" I keed, I keed. :smug: I was more just wanting to know what's out there and what some brands of strings some folks are using for their ABG's.

After reading so much info in different threads, I just decided to try some Nylons for the first time The two elec basses I've been giggin most are P5 w/Chromes and a Skyline JoBo 5 w/Sadowsky flats. I was real close to getting some Chromes again for this BC but I know how those work. So gona try something new. From all the threads, may have to try alot of new strings to find what I want for this ABG.

We'll see, gotta start somewhere. But many do like the Nylons...for metal. :ninja: I keed. :D

13. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger

Update:

I have had the D'Addarios on the bass for a couple of weeks now. I did get the Medium scale set, ultimately, and they fit fine on the Mouse. The sound is nice and even across the strings. However, I can't help but go back to the TI flats. For me, the TIs allow this bass to be played with a little more physicality. It is much more muted and thumpy than the tapes when played with a light touch, but when you dig in, there is always more - less buzz and more growl with the TIs. Compared to the La'Bellas, I like the D'Addarios better.

14. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

I put the new DA'd Nylons on the Boulder Creek Fretless 5er; great friggin feel and tone. The bass already had a pretty nice tone but it now has a nicer fretless, dare I say upright tone than before. Really enjoy playing the BC fretless alot now.

Update Amended: Since I realize I may never get use out of the Boulder Creek bass unplugged; I sent it back to CA store. :atoz: I really did dig the bass' tone and esp looks. But I ended up ordering what I wanted in the first place...Godin A5 Fretless. Lucky the A5 showed up just a day before I shipped the BC bass back. So I got to A/B the two basses and realize the Godin is the way to Go(then) for me. ;) I may buy a BC again one day, pretty basses.

So I put those harsh, still new, bronze strings back on the BC bass and shipped it out. And I just put those still new Nylons on my Am St P5. WOW! Great discovery for me. These strings are giving me the great tone and control I need for the Motown/Funk/Soul band I re-joined recently. I even stuck a piece of foam under strings at bridge and it sounds even nicer and offers me still more string control. And I'm still able to slap/pop em when I want.

Loving the D'Ad Nylons. Gona order some for my Jazz 5 and maybe the 55-02D just to see how they'll do. Seems the A5 came with Chromes, cool, I have those on two other basses. May get Nylons for the A5 one day but the bass sounds killer as is. Highly recommend these strings and they don't give you, dead-sounding-thump tones. They're quite musical on the P5 now. Feel great and play great.....for me anyway. :bassist: