Daddario Chromes flats...pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RED J, Feb 2, 2013.

1. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Big Brown brought me a U.S.A. Peavey Super Ferrite Fury yesterday from G.C. used.
    It had almost new flats on it, I @@#%@%! I haven't used flats in years but have really tried many and was disappointed.
    I identified them by purple wrap and colored ball ends as D'addario Chromes. Wow !! Super feel, great sustain, tone was nice and balanced as well.
    I've found a set of flats I like that don't break the bank. If you want a set of flats that dont just thud but have the flats feel with a pretty bright sustaining tone, these are great ! :hyper:
  2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Chromes have blue silk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

That's cool. You know how color perception can be. Even in your very fine pic they look sligtly purpley to me. Sorta like Fender Midnight Blue. But I concede. Blue it is.
  4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Don't GHS Precision Flats have purple silk wrap?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I'd say they're purplish-blue and with the coloured ball ends and sound description they gotta be Chromes!
  7. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Yeah, the blue on the chromes does have some purple in it. Never noticed that before.

Yes, these are the GHS precision flats:

[​IMG]

RED J, if you haven't tried the GHS precision flats, they just may be your next pleasant surprise!
  8. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

+ 1 for Chromes.

I love their initial brightness, almost like a roundwound tone from a flatwound playing feel. Perfect for me.

So far mine have retained most of their bright tone a few months on. I'll be cleaning them, either in boiling water or spirits when they start sounding dull.
  9. bass whaler

bass whaler

Heres the deal,,, Use Tone Finger ease , This deep cleans and lubricates the strings , fretboard and frets. use a lint free cloth and wipe down after every couple of hours of play time. Do not use solvents like pure acetone, or boil the strings. the best council given me when a 15 year old was: Keep the hands clean , scrub them, keep fingernails short and clean. Wipe down the strings, and do proper housecleaning. When you see sloppy dirty guitars, you may find that some musicians have issues. Never cheap out on guitar maintainance, just keep in mind that you have a custom show guitar even if it only cost you $150. Treat your guitar well. I have seen exotic bass guitars being blown away by well looked after "economy guitars" If you bring your guitar in for a hospital check up yearly to a good luthier and have the truss rod checked , you are doing your job, and also supporting a service that most towns do not have. On average I get about one year out of good flatwounds, They do loose brightness after 100 hrs of use. I keep a guitar journal and service dates, string changes. write down problems and deal with them. If you are commanding good coin for gigs, $50. is not going to beak the cookie jar for new strings now and then. We always have enough left over to give to the orhphanage, and remember these kids need your support. :help:
  10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

+1
  11. gary m

gary m

GHS Precision Flats are the stuff. I've tried all the other flats out there, and the only other ones that come close in my opinion are Pyramid Golds. Considering the P-flats are about 1/3 the cost of the Pyramids, everyone should give them a try.
  12. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

I have a 92 Fury with Chromes. Great sound and have $200 in it.:hyper::hyper: This thing is all beatup and has been badly repainted by previous owner but it proudly sits among much more expensive gear.