D'Addario Chromes gauge question!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Dec 25, 2012.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Hullo, I want to give chromes a try on my MIA P bass, but i don't know if i should take the 45-100 or the 50-105. It's currently strung with 45-105 GHS flats and I like the tension. I've also been happy in the past with the tension of the 45-105 d'addario nickel rounds. What are your thoughts? thankkkkk you.

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I just put a set of the 50-105's (ECB82) on a Hwy ONE Jazz, and have a set of 45-100's (ECB81) on my 60's Classic Jazz ... the 81's are quite old and have really settled in, the 82's are still on the fresh side, so it is hard to compare ... I have used 81's on several basses, and really like them, but then I have also used the lighter 40-95 (ECB80) and really liked them as well, maybe even the most, as they seemed to really bring out the little nuances that seemed to be hidden with the heavier strings ... what ever Chromes you choose, they will take a while to settle in from when you first install them, unlike GHS flats, which seem to be there right out of the box, so you may need to be a little patient to get an accurate taste ...

... I guess I find it hard to suggest a string to anyone else, as I tend to prefer the slightly lighter gauges ... I consider the 45-100's home for Chromes, but find with these being so inexpensive compared to the Pyramids and TI's, etc. that I like to have a variety of gauges on hand ... now with the 82's on the Hwy bass, I have a set of 80's, 81's, and 82's strung up and once the 82's settle in, I feel I could play any of them in any situation ... JMHO

Edit to add: .. I will chime back in a couple weeks from now when the 82's have settled in with a more complete comparison if you are still in the decision stages