1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D'Addario EXL Nickel 145 Taper B String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Dec 26, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Well, me and my son both gave these a fair try over the past couple of days and we don't like them at all. :eek: The taper extends too far into the speaking length of the string causing warbling in the higher registers on both his Spector Legend and my Squier VM Jazz. Yes, we re intonated and set pickup heights to the proper level and it still happened. You can hear it acoustically. Also, even though they balance scientifically with the other strings (107-45 EXL 170BT sets), they just feel odd to both of us. We both put our old 135 non tapers back on and it just felt and sounded more correct. I don't even think we will try the 145 non tapers because I don't think our bridges will take it plus the feel should be similar to the 145 taper anyway. It was a good experiment but for some of us I think the balanced tension concept sounds good on paper but in real application just doesn't yield good results.

2. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Different strokes and all that. I prefer balanced tension any day over traditional. I especially hate that loose G right next to that tense D that you get with traditional tension. I've been piecing together my sort-of-balanced sets from singles for 15 years or so for this reason.

I also find D'Addarios .145 B-strings to be excellent, both XLs and ProSteels, but I have never tried the tapered versions.

3. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Tapers are weird...some work like labella, and some give you a one way trip to warble city, with no way out. Most of the tapers I have tried have warbled...with the exception of the labella b's...warwick tapered b's seemed k also.

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

You will want the taper to end about a 1/4" from the saddle, if it is much farther you will intonation problems :meh:
    Balanced tension is not a lost cause, it just does not work if the strings are not evenly flexible.
    There is a string company that offers balanced sets, shorter taper, and flexible strings all the way up to .254" :rolleyes: but if I post the link TB user bunkaroo will start counter posting again :rolleyes:
    So let me just say give some other string company's a try. Just because D'Addario is the biggest one out there doesn't mean you will like them example I don't like McDonalds but my kids cry at the thought of Olive Garden. Many bass players the same way with their strings so taste and see.
    :rolleyes: ok so the Mcrib is pretty badass ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Never had a tapered Fodera string warble. Could be due to the round core.

7. klokker

klokker

I use Sadowsky Blue Labels on my 5 and the taper is perfect......no warble either.

8. Jensby design

Jensby design

Aren't Sadowsky strings made by LaBella :confused: I know Carvin strings are and they are 2.25" from ball to taper.
    Anyway, LaBella makes some decent gauges like .140 .145 .150 so you could stay balanced on your B-string also.

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    FWIW there are tapered strings with shorter taper lengths . . . one size fits all means some people are under served.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

^^ Some people know what they're talking about and practice it, too.
    BTW: Still gotta try some...
    To keep less than 1/4" from saddle to taper, diff bridges that I've measured would use 1" to 1 3/4" ball to taper distance (no thru-body).
    But haven't had any problem with Labella Steps, altho the taper begins farther than 1/4" from saddle on what I've put them on.

11. klokker

klokker

Sure, but they aren't just rebranded LaBella strings; from what I understand they're made to a different set of specifications.

Whatever, there is no warble and I top load, the set up seems just right. Super clean and clear low B.

12. Jensby design

Jensby design

I would believe that on the E,A,D, and G strings but the .128 B and .029 C strings that Carvin offers about have to be the same but I don't feel like buying both sets disassembling measuring with digital caliper and staring at them through magnifying glass and all that other great stuff.

OP, I have used D'Addario's .145 non-tapered it sounds ok but feels like a log to my right hand, even more so than a S.I.T. .195 C# string :eek: But I do think your bridge will work fine :meh: not to sure on the Spector.
    I'm all for big gauges but some string companies just don't think big strings need to be playable while other make 1/4"+ that still sound out harmonics, have sustain, and intonate properly :rolleyes: go figure.

13. GK Growl

GK Growl

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The .135 actually feels and sounds more balanced to me than the .145. Also, I sometimes bring the string up to C so I think it is more practical for my style.