1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D'Addario Flats Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 21, 2013.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I had the brilliant idea to change my strings on my 5 string bass just before our show this past Saturday. Also had the brilliant idea that D'Addario Flats would be a great idea. NOT!! Usually put about 10 to 20 hours of playing on strings before I play them on stage. I hate new strings.
    And now, I put on these brand new flats on my bass 3 hours before the show.
    I have 3 blisters.. UGH!! I figured they would give me a smoother warmer tone. My fingers stuck to the strings. Both left and right hand.. They are terrible... Not to mention pretty darn expensive. I am really hoping that after our 4 hour set on Saturday, 3 hours of practice on Tuesday and Thursday and another week of practicing, that these strings somehow ease up and are not so harsh on my fingers.. Anyone else have this issue??

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

You are just going to have to play them and break them in a bit. One good gig on them and they should start sounding a lot better.

3. micahbell

micahbell

Disclosures:
    Sales: Gerg's Music
    I've never had the issue of my fingers sticking to the strings, but I feel you on the blisters.
    I used to switch back and forth between flats and rounds and found any time I switched my fingers would get torn up.
    I'm good now and switch back and forth with ease, but it took a long time to get there

4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Flats are a different thing. I build up callouses easy. Especially after much play on rounds. But my fingers are tougher because of rounds. I have also noticed that D'Addario Chromes are not as slick as others. GHS P flats are very smooth and glossy and all they did was shine up the rough spots on my fingers.

I tend to bite off callouses after long play. So my fingers get rough fresh rough fresh. If that makes sense. I dont run into blistering problems probably because of touch. Try building up some good callouses on rounds and keep them before long stretches of flat playing. Or soften your touch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

I'm not sure, but I think on fresh Chromes there is some kind of residue on them from the factory. They are "sticky' at first. I simply rub the strings with my fingers and that usually gets the residue off. Once that "stuff" is off the strings, they are extremely smooth. At least that has been my experience with them. I love them, they are my favorite string. I have them on my StingRay 5.

7. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I seem to recall reading a post about that stickiness recently.

I think it said to give the strings a rub over when they are new with a rag and alcohol (metholated spirits) to clean it off.

Your post has reminded me to try it on my own chrome flatwounds!

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

I love chromes, but they do tend to be sticky when you first get them. It is especially bad if it is humid. They get very smooth over time.

At least they no longer come with the black residue on them!

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Back when I was endorsed by GHS, I used the flats on my fretless and I loved them. Now that I use all D'Addario's on my basses, I thought this would be a great thing to try. Hopefully, after that show on Saturday, my fingers won't stick to them.. It was kind of a weird thing..

10. Wesley R

Wesley R

When I installed D'Addario Chromes, I almost cried. I even posted here, as all I could hear was a bunch of harmonics, and oddness. The kicker is, this was done in an effort to provide a pick me up in spirits.

About two weeks later, I was very happy with them and and truly enjoyed the long tearm outcome.

11. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

I learned this very expensive lesson too. Spent £70 on two sets of Roto flats, and hated them. Loved the tone, but the stickiness and high tension made them almost unplayable. Went back to rounds pronto!

12. paganjack

paganjack

Give them a little time, they definitely take a little while to break in. They are really mid focused strings after a while and the treble sits lower than rounds. They have nice clarity and punch, less clack and boom.

I enjoyed mine for a long while before switching to the Labella Jamerson set (which is bootytastic but suitable only for old-school soulful thump IMO).

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you are used to rounds you are going to experience this with any string change. Probably more so with flats actually. Crazy huh...

14. Marton

Marton

Give them two weeks. They sound weird and feel sticky on the first days, but after that period they're smooth and really punchy.

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    When I first install a set of Chromes, before installing I always wipe them down with naphtha to remove all the manufacturing oils and crud. If you don't, your fingers will be black the first time you play them.

The stickiness doesn't last, but it's definitely there at the start. It'll go away quickly.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I like at least 30-40 hours on a set of Chromes before I play them out ... sometimes each persons skin tends to react differently with different strings ... I hear people rave about how smooth and slick their TI-JF's are, and they are like sticky side of tape for me, no matter how old they are ... go figure

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of D'Addario.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Try a little fret eze spray on the string or wipe them down. I play chomes on all my basses but one and they need a break in period for tone as well as to get smooth and slick.

19. domdom759

domdom759

Hi! Here a trick for your blister :ligthly sand the tip of the finger with sandpaper 125 to 225 grade.It work for Stanley Clarke and it work for me to.Tkx Stanley for your trick!

20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Also try lowering your action. That's one really cool thing about flats. If your bass is still setup for rounds, it'll be extremely uncomfortable playing with flats. Lower the action as much as you can without buzz and then play lighter.