1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D'Addario Pro Steels?...Oh my!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I bought a Fender American Vintage 62 Jazz Bass just before the holidays and loved it immediately ( It didn't hurt I got it during a MEGA sale! :) ) I played it with the stock Fender strings for a couple of weeks but wanted a different sound. I had just put Rotosounds on My G&L and the DR Highbeams that were on it still sounded good and bright so I put those on my new Jazz. Now I liked the feel of the highbeams and the brightness but I felt they were lacking in the mids so i played them for a few weeks and just had the hankering to try out these Pro Steels. So i put these on today. Holy sh&^!!! These are some BRIGHT strings! Talk about grand piano sound. Even though they are a lighter set 100-45 compared to the highbeams 105-45 they feel a bit tighter to me. It might be that they feel a but rougher to the touch. The 100 E feels more like a 105 and certainly doesn't sound anemic in the lows. More detailed than the XL's 100 to my ears. But the sound is much more balanced to my ears. The mids are definitely more present and growlier than the DR's. Not quite as "ganky" as my long time favorite Rotosounds but still really musical sounding. Now I'm not sure if I want my new Jazz to be aggressive or mellow sounding but it sounds like a different beast altogether with these strings. I guess time will tell but at the price these are hard strings to beat.
    Take Care,
    Brent

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

you should also try Fender CS 60's pups on that bass for the total package!:hyper:

3. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

The Pro-Steels are super bright! I put them on my basses every now and then instead of my xl nickels and they never disappoint :)

4. jnumme

jnumme Low End To No End Supporting Member

All I use Brent, Switched from blue steels to the pro steels and heck cheap to replace from bassstringsonline. they mellow nice but I change em about three to four months. use on my lakland jazz and my spector lx 4. growl for days

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. michael_t

michael_t

The main difference between the Pro Steels and the High Beams is hex core vs. round core. It is not surprising the Pro Steel 100 feels like the Hi Beam 105 as the hex core would make it slightly stiffer. The hex core also seems to bring out that mid growl better compared to the round core, which tends to be more scooped.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Rodney 'Skeet' Curtis just recommended these to me. Three of my babies are getting new shoes. Skeet has played with P-Funk, and Maceo Parker.

8. lijazz

lijazz

Been using Pro Steels for the past year. Switched from DR Lo-Riders and very happy with the Pros.

9. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

I am a nickel guy, but I am thinking of trying the pro steels. Not sure yet.

Shaun

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I used to use them years ago and they are pretty cool. One warning... watch your frets they are rough on them.

11. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Great ootb and sound nice through the life cycle

12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I use Prosteels exclusively on all my basses - they're nice and bright with tight deep lows, and the price is right.

villis likes this.
  13. FourBanger

FourBanger

I do like the shiny ootbs fitted on all GHS roundwounds these days.

Especially right when you take the Out Of The Box, eh...?

14. ODDBALL

I have a Yamaha BB425X, could I tame the bright highs if I wanted to? Just roll the tone back? Will these damage my frets?

Shaun

15. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

yes, yes, yes(all strings do this though)

16. FourBanger

FourBanger

My VM Pbass will be re-fitted with with EPS165s when it arrives. I have not been a D'Addario fan lately and have never used steels, but the ProSteels are a cheap way to try them out. Plenty of folks seem happy with them but I mostly wanted to see if I felt I could get along with steels before putting real money into some of the more expensive versions on the market.

17. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Actually, I really digged Prosteels, they are one of my favorite stainless steel strings except for one bit: the B string. I was not a fan of that B string. Rotosound has a better B string, in my opinion. Dunlop had a better B string as well but didn't last as long.

18. ODDBALL

I think I am just going to try them out.

Shaun

19. intheory

intheory

Awesome strings. I've used them exclusively for many years, even on my fretless! :). Awesome tone for sure!!

20. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I think you should, Shaun. I have used nickels mainly for 30 years as my main round, but I was extremely pleased with Pro Steels I have used. It's just that I no longer play a genre they really fit anymore. They are long lasting , which is more than I can say for the nickel D'addarios. You will have reduce your treble and bring up the lows a little. They are quite brite.

21. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I just put them on my short scale Ibanez ARTB100 and they woke up the instrument instantly.