1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D'Addario Prosteels 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Nov 20, 2012.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Decided to try some new stainless steel rounds (long time DR Hi Beam/Lo Rider user, previous Rotosound Swingbass 66 user). The Prosteels kinda caught my eye due to the fact that I enjoyed the XL nickels (although I now have a nickel allergy), the environmental stance of the company with their packaging, etc, and lastly the price. I picked these up on sale at Elderly online with a coupon and they ended up being about $11 a set! Here's my thoughts:

These strings remind me of Rotosound Swingbass 66 which to me is an awesome thing. They sound and feel very punchy and aggressive, maybe a tad less than a new set of Rotos. Previous posters have said that they seemed scooped but I actually hear an increased midrange compared to the DR sets I normally use (ain't saying much I know). The thing I'm really enjoying about them is that they respond very well to fingers and pick which is what I really loved about Rotosounds. The DRs to me seem to respond better to fingers and due to the smaller windings actually increase my finger noise. So far I'm extremely impressed.

2. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That's all I use anymore; the Prosteels are almost half as cheap, and sound nearly the same as the HBs. I usually get 3 sets when I order online.

3. shaft311

shaft311

I'm a fan of them. Very attractive price, very bright. Tapered B string available. I have them on my Corvette $$ and they sound fantastic.

4. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Yep, that's my preferred string right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm interested in your impressions about their longevity. One of the best things about the DRs, other than the sound, is they last for a LONG time. But I've definitely had my eye on these...

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Jon, I was involved in beta testing the Prosteels. I used to use DRs also.The Prosteels keep their brightness for a long time, longer than DRs; in fact, longer than any string with which I am familiar. I liked them a lot, perhaps a little too bright for me. I'd think slappers would love 'em. My needs have changed and I'm mainly a flatwound guy these days.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Pro steels are the standard stainless thing where they are super zingy and bright for quite a while, then they go thuddy. DRs loose the initial edge in a few days then have a raw, natural brightness that lasts a lot longer than the brightness of the pro steel.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I use prosteels when I can't get DRs. I like them.I have good luck with them. I generally agree with the above statement also.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    What basses are you guys using these strings on and how do you normally EQ? Also, what gauges are you using?

11. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

I've tried proseteels several times with several basses, to me was always scouped mids lack of fundamental , bommy and clancky

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I had this same experience (in fact, I've experienced it with every set of steels I've tried). I'm a mids junkie, and no amount of EQing seemed to bring them back.