1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

D'addario string tensions long vs short scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    So I've pretty much given up on the idea of ever getting Chromes in short scale in my wuss gauges, so I'm thinking I want to put a balanced tension set of XL's on my Longhorns. Only thing is, D'addario doesn't make a set of balanced tension XL's in my gauges (40-95), not even by piecing them together out of singles. Therefore, they also don't have short scale string tensions for the strings they don't make in short scale.

So my idea is to buy long scale 40 and 55, short scale 70 and 95. Now according to what I can glean, the short scale tensions are reduced correspondingly with each other, and I should be able to use those gauges no problem and have balanced tension. Correct?

Thanks!

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Should be good to go.

3. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Jimmy, I used a set of medium chromes on a 30.5" scale EB0. Very easy to play even for me with CTS.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks for that, mrb, and I'm sure they are, but I greatly prefer the set that starts with a 40, and I also am addicted to the balanced tension.

Thx FourBanger. I think I am, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Really the only string you need to purchase in "Short Scale" is the .095 so it does not wrap around the tuning post.

I did the math on the tensions between short scale and long scale "balanced tension sets" is very very close to being the same.

So I would order .040 .055 .070 in Long Scale and a .095 Short Scale string.

(if you want to save some $ you could be better off buying a EXL220BT set and a single .095 short scale and then you have an extra .095 long scale for when you need it).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Grrrr...misread BassStringsOnline. They have the 70 in short, but they only have 95 singles in medium scale, not long, but they will sell you a short scale set that has a 95. Sheesh! What is with that? So now if I want these gauges, I have to buy a set + two strings? And despite them having several short scale strings not available as singles in sets, they don't publish the tensions of anything but the ones available as singles.

Makes zero sense to me.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jason, the G and D strings are clear on the Dano, but the long scale A speaking length wraps around the post, and the E short scale just barely clears, so a medium is out. Fortunately, the 70 actually is available as a single in short scale, but the only way I can get this set is to order the extra light short set and replace the A and D. Which is feasible, but it's going to cost me an extra $8. Those people at D'addario better appreciate that I like them so much I'm willing to go the extra mile ;)

Thanks buddy...will be placing an order later tonight.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Jason lists the .95 in long scale:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/-D...-Build-your-own-Custom-String-Set_p_1463.html

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Oh well it works in some basses.

I'll look at the available skus again they might have updated something

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    About to setup for a gig. I'll check the available strings tonight.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Awesome! Got a couple other things I'm getting too, so it won't be a lame single pack order ;)

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Ok so I am looking at the available strings... This explains why many users have been making this set...

.040 .055 .070 .100(shortscale)

So that may be the way to go!

No .095 Short Scale from D'Addario at the moment.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That 100 E looks like it might actually work out, considering it's right around 28 lbs tension, which is what I'm guesstimating the others to be. Good call, Jason! OK, I'll give it a shot...will be ordering in a little bit.

16. ixlramp

ixlramp

For a more balanced set how about 40 55 75 100? There seems to be a XL .075 in short scale ...

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Might try a 75 if the set Jason mentioned doesn't work out. But they do have a 70 in short scale...I just misread the website at first.