D'Addario Tapewounds vs TI Jazz Flats w/sound clips

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jallenbass, Nov 17, 2012.

Choose one if you'd like.

Poll closed Feb 15, 2013.
  1. D'Addario Tapewounds

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. TI Jazz Flats

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

For anyone who's interested.
    Bass - Precision with a Bartolini 8CBP.
    Microphone 4 feet from cabinet.
    Ampeg PF-350.
    Homebuilt 2x10 cabinet.

Poll included for those that like that sort of thing.

Attached Files:

2. MR PC

MR PC

Intriguing comparison test.....Which set of strings do you prefer, and why, or do you feel they are very similar, or?.....I can't listen to the sound samples for some reason.:)

3. jallenbass

I like them both really. Tapes have more lows and the Jazz flats have that really nice midrange.

4. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

I'll have to come back and listen with headphones. I haven't played the tapewounds, but I have a set of the TI's on a Bart-equipped Brubaker Brute. They sound and feel pretty sweet on that bass -- really singing tone, and good for fingerstyle and slap (though lacking the last bit of top end I get with Circle K roundwounds).

Over my crappy laptop speakers, for the clip you posted, I liked the tapewounds a little better. Less clank than the TIs. Haven't voted yet, given the limitations of my listening equipment!

I have a fretless bass strung with cheap Webstrings flats (my first ever flats), and I've gotten some pretty sweet old-school and slap sounds out of that (they're heavier and stiffer than the TIs, but still fairly responsive to fretless technique with a low setup). Wonder how that bass would play with tapewounds?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GM60466

GM60466

two completely different strings types. The tape wounds have a higher tension. The TI have much less tension and plow a deeper groove in the air.

7. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

They might not be that big a change, tension-wise, on the P-bass (the Webstrings set on it now has a .105 E). Not sure of the gauges on the TI or the tension (I looked it up once), but the construction feels pliable, in any case. They respond well to a light-ish touch and you don't need super-low action for them to feel easy to play. I don't think that they're super-low tension (some posts you read about them would give that impression), but they're flexible.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Haven't listened to the clips but... I use both sets. My Barker Brio has D'ad tapes. They work really well with the piezo bridge. I roll the split P in for mids on that bass. I have TIJF's on Boulder Creak ABG fretless and Guild Pilot fretess 5. Complex mid's and string feel are nice there.

My fretless 'Ray has LaBella tapes. Like those there too. That bass has plenty of mids already. Godin Acoustibass fretted 4 also has LaBellas. LR Baggs piezo setup is the only pickup. The softer attack and bloom works well under acoustic instruments.

The tapes tend to decay a little faster, both D'ad and Labella. They also have a more 'damp' sound and attack. That translates really well with piezo basses or agreesive basses like a 3 band 'ray.

All those strings have their place...

9. jallenbass

In construction type, yes. But they feel very similar. A tiny bit more tension with the tapewounds but by no means tense. Sustain is just about equal. Don't know about the deeper groove part.

10. ljazz

ljazz

Both sets sound pretty new to me....... I'd love to hear it again when each set has a good 4 months of play time on them.

11. jallenbass

Well, the tapes are about 4 months old and the TIs I bought used and had them on another bass for awhile. They are both rather bright strings which makes it an interesting comparison.

12. ljazz

ljazz

The TI's I have on my bass sound nothing like those..... they did when they were brand new.... but after a couple of months, the top end had mellowed out a bunch. Did you play them often when they were strung on the other bass?

13. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Previously KeithKlaxwell Supporting Member

fun I have two P basses a few serials apart, one has TIs and the other has D tapes. I'm not getting enough definition even with EQ in a dense mix on the tapes which is a bummer because i enjoy them. i find them a little boomy and certainly appropriate for a roots or reggae type application.

14. jallenbass

It's been awhile so I don't really remember.

15. jallenbass

I'm curious as to what bands/environments did the tapes not work so well for you.

16. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Wow, more similarities there than I had expected! I have D'Addario Tapes on my Squier Standard Precision V (Jazz pickups) and I am loving the tone and feel! Had a gig tonight- lounge music, Sinatra, etc. Played the 5er through my GK MB115, no PA, and it sounded so stinkin' good. I don't want to play anything else!

Thanks for the comparison :D

17. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Previously KeithKlaxwell Supporting Member

Dense pop or rock mixes with lots of keys and guitars where I'm craving a little more upper mids and highs and a little low mid cut. I don't think dirty guitars are this string's best friend. Don't get me wrong, I love the strings and understand there are ways to help like EQ, pick, different bass etc. They just shine for me in mixes that have more breathing room.

Does anyone else love the sound made when tapewounds make contact with frets? :)

18. jallenbass

That makes sense.