1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

D'Addario vs Ernie Ball

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Trying to decide between D'Addario nickel wound or Ernie Ball nickel wound slinkys. Anyone have any thoughts on this sets of strings?
  2. Kenzy

Kenzy

We need more information, man. For instance: What do you want to get out of the strings tone-wise? What music do you play?

I've used the Ernie Balls before, never the D'Addario Nickelwound, though I have used the D'Addario ProSteels, which I love. The ProSteels give you an extremely bright, punchy, metallic tone, which is perfect for me.
  3. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1 to Kenzy, we could use a little more info. Are you thinking about trying both brands or you have, and don't know which to stick with?

I used the EB Slinkies for a couple years when I first started playing, tried the D'Addarios and didn't go back. I've tried a few other brands along the way and keep going back to D'Addario EXLs.

Strings are pretty personal/subjective, so if you haven't tried either set, you may have to try both (or even other brands) before finding what you like.

5sg.
  4. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I'm looking for a warmer sound with a little punch. That's why I thought the nickel might be a good idea. I play a wide range of music so I want something versatile.
  5. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    EB engineers the metal for low tension. They feel like playing on rubber to me.

DAddario XL's are stiffer.

I use DAddario Prosteels which are slightly stiffer than XLs'.

Most basses ship with Nickels.
  6. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

One of the reasons I stuck with the D's. I also liked the tone of the EXLs better.

5sg.
  7. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Well I like a tighter feel so I think I'll go with the D'Addario.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    D'adds for me! The Slinkys are nice but die very quickly!
  9. mrbell321

mrbell321

I don't really like EB's. They sound... squeaky? And on the bass, too floppy. I like the feel on a guitar, but again, I"m not a fan of the tone.
  10. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I like EB's on my 5 strings. My Alembic Essence 5 has had the same set for 12 months and they sound great.
    On 4 strings Iike SIT medium nickel.
  11. jabsys

jabsys

I prefer the sound & feel of EB's, but they just don't last long enough for me, it's only a few months before they're dead.
  12. funkybass

funkybass

If you are getting a few months out of EB's, you are doing good.
  13. armybass

armybass Supporting Member

I much prefer EB's feel to D'Addarios. They have a much more supple feel to me and I find they last just as long as D'Addarios.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I get 5 or 6 shows out of a new set of rounds tops. You're complaining about a few months???
  15. deeptubes

deeptubes

The EB's I tried barely lasted longer than the Bass Boomers that I will never use again. 2 weeks, dead. Have tried other strings, kept coming back to D'Addario. I now have about 10 years of D'Addarios in the mancave closet.
  16. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Just put a set of the D's on the bass. Haven't played threw the amp yet but I love the way they feel. Nice and tight! Will update when I play threw the amp.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Yeah, you're talking two rehearsals or one gig (tops) for me :bawl:
  18. ksandvik

ksandvik

Now there are other brands you should also try out, Dunlops and my favorites, DRs of all kinds.
  19. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Just had some DR highbeams on my bass. Didn't like them....the low B sounded like poo poo!
  20. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I never liked Ernie Ball bass strings, but that's just me.