1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dale Peters: James Gang

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Jan 3, 2014.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

2. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Oh, yeah. I spent hours listening to Live @ Carnegie Hall (James Gang Live(?)). Great solid duo on drums/bass, played so well together.
  3. jbednarski

jbednarski

Agree. I grew up in NE Ohio in the day and remember the James Gang as a local bar band. Amazing long jams to rival any jam band today. I taped a set on a cassette recorder from a gig in Kent, Ohio but have long since lost it. The cool part I remember is them playing an extended version of The Bomber from James Gang Rides Again with the Ravel Bolero section segueing into The Pusher by Steppenwolf. Amazing!
  4. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

One of my first inspirations and heroes. His tone is just as great as his playing. You can always hear him perfectly on the recordings. Plays for the song, but he can really rip too when he decides to. The live version of "Stop" is pure Peters bliss. Jim Fox is one the most, if not THE most, underrated drummer of all time. Amazing. And of course, Joe Walsh is one of the greatest of all time.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

Big James Gang fan. Love Joe Walsh's playing and he had some great musicians in that band.
  6. Rocker949

Rocker949

I was 19 or maybe even 20 already when Joe Walsh left the James Gang and was replaced by Dominic Troiano. I don't know how exactly, but we (a local cover band) were asked to open up for the James Gang at the local armory one night. Mostly what I remember is Dominc Troiano coming over to our stage and asking for something. A really nice guy. I wish I could have talked to Dale Peters, too. I like power trios quite a lot and never got to see the Walsh, Fox, Peters line-up, unfortunately. But I consider it quite a unique and accomplished 3-piece band. You've got them, plus others such as Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Mountain, Grand Funk Railroad, ZZ Top and others. In fact, I got to see ZZ Top not long after that night that the James Gang played.

Note:

Just noticed I should have spelled the name Domenic, not Dominic.
  7. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Concur. Just finished listening to the first three albums. The live Walk Away is worth youtubing.
  8. ahc

ahc

Not that it really matters, but Mountain was a 4-piece band. Steve Knight was the keyboard player. Saw them 4 or 5 times back when. Great band. As was the James Gang. Leslie West had tone for days.

There was a series of episodes of the Drew Carey show (no... not the Price is Right) where Joe Walsh played the part of a burnout guitarist who played in Carey's band at the airport Holiday Inn. The other guys from the James Gang also appeared as part of the band. They were great. Joe Walsh's playing in a "cover band" was stupendously good.
  9. Rocker949

Rocker949

I probably know less about Mountain than any of the other bands I mentioned. But I was under the impression that part of the time they were a three piece with just Pappalardi, Laing, and West. Also, very, very briefly they played with the line-up of West, Laing, and Noel Redding. As far as I know, Redding was only on two songs they recorded, though. I'm out of touch with what they're doing now, but I think even now they're just a three-piece, with Laing, West, and Jones. Of course, I could be wrong about them ever having just the West, Laing, Pappalardi line-up. Certainly, though, when I think of Mountain, that's who I mostly focus on, those three. Later on, Laing was in some band called Cork and Noel Redding also played bass as a guest artist for them. Not that this point is particularly important, though.

Grand Funk (Railroad) is another band that may be thought of as 3-piece or 4 piece, since they did add a keyboardist later on. Some prefer it that way, but I always liked their original three-piece line-up.
  10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yea they are still considered local hero's in these parts. I never got to see the JG they were a few years ahead of me in my time. Kent had the best live music scene in the late 70s thru mid 80's but sadly its gone.

Kent has made a major comeback thou with a new thriving downtown. The music is getting better but most is coverbands these days.
  11. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

1st I've heard that Troiano took over from Walsh in The JG. Knew he replaced Randy Bachman with The Guess Who. Before all this he was with a Toronto band, Bush who had a pretty fair basser Prakash John who I never heard anything else of after Bush.
  12. Rick Powell

Rick Powell

Prakash John, the bassist on Lou Reed Live? I'd say that was pretty big-time.

Agree that Dale Peters was awesome. Saw him live near the end of JG, with the Tommy Bolin/Roy Kenner and Bob Webb/Phil G. versions. Played mostly with a pick, IIRC.
  13. Rocker949

Rocker949

I don't have any James Gang albums, although I plan to get all of them some day. I'm pretty sure Troiano is on two of them. Being in both the James Gang and The Guess Who, that's quite an accomplishment, to say the least. Now, if I had to play bass in a room where Dale Peters was present, I'd feel very intimidated. But at that time I was really more of a lead vocalist playing bass. So, I didn't really feel the pressure very much in terms of bass playing. I was very impressed with the James Gang that night, though. I got the impression that most people in the audience were quite pleased with them.
  14. JimK

JimK

Prakash John also gigged with Alice Cooper (Welcome To My Nightmare). More Troiano? Check out a band called Mandala...Soul Crusade.
  15. therhodeo

therhodeo

If you really want to appreciate what he did for those songs listen to how Timothy b. Schmidt waters them down when the eagles play them.
  16. Rocker949

Rocker949

From the album "Thirds."
  17. LordRyan

LordRyan

I saw the James Gang at the Armory in Salem, OR. They had the highest attendance of any show there up to that time. A return date was booked immediately. When a local radio DJ mentioned that Joe Walsh had left the band the show was canceled due to poor advance ticket sales.
  18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

One of the bands that really shaped my playing.
  19. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I bought my first bass from Dale. Somehow, my dad knew a guy who knew the drummer, so he asked him if he had anything he was selling. He did, so went out to his house and bought a P bass copy from him when I was 14.
    He is a hell of a nice guy and an awesome player.
  20. Rocker949

Rocker949

That may explain how they ended up playing in the Deep South where I was right after that. Of course, we were getting a few great acts like the Allman Brothers from time to time. But bands of the caliber of the Allman Brothers and the James Gang were rare.