Dam my NUTs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Angel LaHash, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

well trying to replace the nut on the guitar was was burnt for a Music video.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370496419454?var=640010157022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It was wooden and snapped the Nut that is..

Brought a NT-038 (not sure if its to long) and NT-040 (too fat)
    i feel like goldie locks here!! and xrated one at that any way...

Only Leaves NT-029 but a lot smaller 38 spose to 43
    also the back of the Nut Slot (Peg side) is damaged so will have to fill it up to hold it in to place.
    need to clear off the glue that held the nut in.

Just woundering if any one else had to change this and if its just over hanging or should i cut it down a bit to get the hight
    how high should a nut be standing up
  2. Immigrant

Immigrant

Your attempt at humor through use of sexual innuendo is a chronic mis-step that possibly leads to issues with mods and ignorance from other users, dyslexic or not. You also may find answers come quicker when you post the thread in the proper forum; "Hardware, Setup, and Repair" in the case of this one.

In all honesty, you will have better luck eyeballing it yourself as opposed to asking the question on a forum without posting photos, at least. I know you desire to repair it yourself (to save money I presume) but if you have the questions you are asking, you really should either take it to a repair person to either be repaired correctly or to get advice.

No one here can tell you what height to make it without knowing the slot depth in relation to fret height, etc, without photos.

Good luck with the burnt repair!
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Cutting a nut correctly is one of the most important parts of a proper set up. Simply put, there's no way any pre-manufactured nut will be cut correctly for any specific instrument. You'll need to slot it to the correct depth (most factory nuts are way too high), and with the proper angle from the leading edge to the tuning machines.

Read the sticky about set up tips, find some on-line videos of proper nut installation, get a copy of Dan Erlewine's "Complete Guitar Repair".

John
  4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Assuming the nut is pre slotted. Slap that bitch in there man. Use some sand paper to make it fit. Use a nice flat file to clear the glue from the nut slot. No glue at this point. Keep sanding it until you get the height low enough to be able to press down the strings at the first fret with very little effort. Make sure you shape the nut to the contour of the neck. after you get it real close, You can get your self 4 round files that match your favourite string size. use these to "fine tune" the String slots to your desired height. Once everything is perfect, Then just a pin head size drop of glue to keep the nut in place.
  5. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

people who tend to have problems hide it by joking .. i had that fact that i cant understand humor in the written text and my spell, by joking.. a lot of people were bullied problerly do the same thing..

to be honest here, dont think a Photo will show you aint thing but a groove in a bit of wood.. I do computers more and i am sicken by how much people charge to repair them, and if any one wants to learn about them best to learn of someone else who has done it and ERRORed it up and leant how to fix it.. Way to learn about windows it to learn what happens when you press this and how to fix it..

----

JTE
    it dose look way to high .. i was kind of hoping that there is a sort of Hight it should be peeking over the Fret board..has to be higher than the (mm im not sure what to call it but the metal bits inbetween each note)
    I would have to glue and shave it off the bottem .. it was orienaly wooden and in a very bad state, only one string hold remained..
    i do understand i will have to file out bits to get the string to sit ok.. will see what the angle the strings come out to change it.. i was suggest a angle of 6/12° so may have to life some of the pegs to get a better hight, so not to put too much stress on the strings.
    I will look for the book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Player-Repair-Dan-Erlewine/dp/0879309210/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353355767&sr=1-1
    Is this the book you are suggesting to use a bible
    .. i did used to have this book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guitar-Repair-Reference/dp/0825601568/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353355465&sr=8-1
    But like normaly someone borrows it and never gives it back

----
    NYCbassist
    Thank you .. think thats what i got to do ..
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The first link is the book I suggest. The other one by Kamamoto did help me a lot when I first started doing this stuff in '77, but the Erlewine book is much better. Better explanations, better graphics, and most importantly he talks about the trade-offs in set-up choices.

John
  7. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Thanks i got the book £13
    i did have the other book 2nd hand about 10yr ago