Damaged bass- advice needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fullcircle, Jan 14, 2014.

1. fullcircle

fullcircle Supporting Member

Hi all,
    I have had only good dealings with the community here and could really use some input on this matter. I recently purchased a Tobias bass from a retailer and when it arrived, it was not nearly like what was shown in the pictures or the description given to me. I contacted the vendor immediately and said that I wanted a refund. The vendor said to ship it back for a return and I shipped it the same night that I received it. Shipped in a very solid Tobias hard case with some packing material- exactly as it was shipped to me. Bass arrived there today and he emails me to say it arrived with a broken headstock. This is a Tobias 5-peice neck, which has always seemed to me like a very tough neck. The vendor told me to file a claim with Fedex and I am out over 1k pending what happens with Fedex.
    I am not sure what to think and am wondering if this person could have broken the bass to avoid refunding me. That actually seems like a good way to get out of paying a refund. I also read some past posts here on TB stating that shippers try to avoid paying claims. FWIW, I did declare an adequate value and opened a claim today.
    I really need some good advice with this- has anyone been through this type of thing and come out reimbursed? I am also seriously considering going to the BBB with this business's name.

Thanks!
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

did you ask for pics of the broken headstock?
  3. fullcircle

He sent a picture of the broken headstock when he emailed to inform me about it.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

are they full pictures with the serial number so you know it's the same exact bass?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

oh dang that is a mess . Was it done on a credit card or paypal . i would call them and get the jump on the claim . Also he would have to prove it was done in shipping but Fedex will probably fight against it as he accepted the package . Sorry I can't be more helpful but that is a tough spot to be in ,keep us up to date as it unfolds . All the best !
  7. Melonthief

Melonthief

Sounds like a shady guy, I have had relatively hassle free payment of a claim from paypal, no idea about FedEx.
    I have been extremely lucky on eBay getting instruments as described but I would recommend researching claim options prior to purchase next time. Sorry that happened to you.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

Was there extensive damage to the box and case. It would have to be pretty badly treated by FedEx to have broken the headstock. Get pictures of everything to back up your claim.
  9. fullcircle

Just one pic was sent but yes.
  10. fullcircle

It was done with a credit card.
  11. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Seriously. Demand photos of the shipping box from many angles, not just one pic. Care to share the retailer?
  12. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

so what were the undisclosed issues when you first received the bass?
  13. fullcircle

I've only gotten a picture of the break where the neck meets the headstock.
  14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    What kind of break? Can you post the pic? Was the case damaged as well? There's no way that headstock gets broken and the case isn't trashed.
  15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I would dispute it with your credit card. I dont know who you have but I have Wells Fargo and judging by past things they have done for me they wouldnt take kindly to that. As noted above a 5 piece neck breaking off totally would pretty much require the case being destroyed.
  16. fullcircle

Basically the pictures made it look flawless and I got an in-hand over the phone and was told it was a solid 8.5. I've been playing over 30 years and have owned plenty of basses- it definitely was not an 8.5. There were finish issues and overall, considerably more wear than disclosed.
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If you didn't insure the shipment with FedEx, they might not do anything for you.
  18. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Also mention in your claim that you loosened the tension on the strings!! Some shipping companies will deny your claim if you didn't do this.
  19. fullcircle

I agree.

[​IMG]
  20. fullcircle

They ask for a declared value and charge you accordingly. I declared full value (fortunately).
  21. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

That thing recieved a beating to bust the neck like that. Either basically ran over or drop from high up is my guess. I have a mustang bass that of course is a 1 piece neck. It fell off a stand 15 feet on to concrete to bust the neck and it was not in a case.