Dampening a Fingerboard??

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by pi_r_squared, Oct 30, 2013.

1. pi_r_squared

pi_r_squared

ok, maybe that sounds nuts.....but I'm trying to get serious about learning slap, I've noticed this a little while I play, but from in front of the bass it's REALLY noticeable. Sometimes the satisfying "tick" sounds more like a WHACK.

It sounds great if I'm 5 or 6 semitones up the fingerboard, but open strings, or the E or A strings 2 or 3 semitones up from the nut gives more of an ugly "whack" sound.

I've experimented with dampening the fingerboard (stuffing a rolled towel between it and the body), and that seems to be an improvement. Is that a bad idea? or is there some "proper" way to accomplish the same thing? or another way to address the situation? or is it all down to technique?

Thanks in advance.
  2. turf3

turf3

You do mean "DAMPING", don't you? "DAMPENING" would be easily achieved with a small spray bottle, but I would not vouch for the resulting effects on the finish of your instrument.
  3. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

how about trying one of the patton mutes
  4. pi_r_squared

pi_r_squared

head---->desk desk desk.....uh huh......minus the "en" :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PaulKing

PaulKing

This is mostly down to string choice, partly down to fingerboard material, and partly down to technique.

Are you playing steel strings, or maybe Innovation or Eurosonic? They can all sound very clacky when you're slapping open strings.

Is it an ebony fingerboard? They tend to sound brighter and clackier than rosewood.

Subtle adjustment of technique can help too, slightly sideways pull and release, rather than straight out...