Danelectro Chili Dod- OC-2 clone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arginator, Dec 9, 2012.

1. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

Are they Boss OC-2 clones? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, but can't find it now. Can anyone confirm this, or set me straight?

Just curious, really. I know they're cheap and made of plastic. But would they be some cheap fun?
  2. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Not sure how cheap the Danos are but I just recently bought 2 mij OC-2s for $40 each. If you look around on CL you should be able to pick up an OC-2 cheap.
  3. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Same layout does not necessarily mean it's a clone, and anyway, no cloning over OC-2 is possible since some parts are unavailable on the market.

There's also the Markbass octaver, exactly the same layout, and quite the same sound, better tracking than vintage OC-2's.

The Danelectro could be the same, find them and compare them, that's the best thing to do IMHO.
  4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Which parts would those be?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

The original VCA (Voltage Controlled Amp) and amp op, to name a few.
  7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    VCA? Do you mean the JFETs? They are nothing special as they're only used as switches. The same is true for the opamps - nothing special and not adding anything to the sound.
  8. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

So you can get the same japan OC-2 sounds with any other pedal on the market I guess ? glad to hear that if it's that what you mean, cos' I was really fed up with that vintage japan OC-2 "hype" :D

Really glad to hear that from you, specially from the Iron Ether boss that I respect (your Xerograph and Oxide kills all the way ;) , specially with a copilot cubic octaver, when I heard those soundclips, I was blown away, I will get those one day be sure of that !!)
  9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Markbass MB Octaver is essentially an OC2 clone with a little more headroom. I run it at 12 volts and it sounds very similar.
  10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    I try to avoid getting into arguments over sound, since we all know how tricky that can be. What I will say is that Boss never designed things with mojo parts. They designed with parts they could get in the millions. When they got a lot of FETs, you can be sure they were going to use the same one in every pedal they could. The FETs in the OC2 are used to switch an opamp between inverting and non-inverting amplification; as a result the audio signal never actually goes through the FET.

I certainly wouldn't say all octave pedals sound the same.
  11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

SOoooo, what is YOURS going to sound like ;)
  12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    I thought I had so carefully sidestepped saying anything that would imply... ;)
  13. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Yeah smart reply Taylor ;) I "dramatically" emphasized the facts :D off course all pedals are not equal, that's a chimere.... but there are indeed similar products and you could easily built a closed match to the japanese OC-2, as many "electrotechnicians" guys in the world :cool:

So, I'll stand on my opinion: vintage japanese OC-2 is NOT the Holly Grail, think of it....
  14. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

+ 10 000: always trust your ears, not the "hypes"....
  15. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

You found MIJ OC-2s for $40 each? Yeah, for that price I'd get the real thing too. I've never seen them that cheap, which is why I was looking in to the Dano.

So if the Dano's not an exact clone, anyone know how close the sound gets?
  16. mcnach

mcnach

Not quite.

They are not bad on guitar, fun octavers. But they really don't work very well on bass. The sound is not too close to an OC2 either. I bought one because it was cheap, so why not? But it really did not do it for me. I still have the OC2.