1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Danelectro Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by portaflexer, Aug 28, 2012.

1. portaflexer

portaflexer

Well... I've done some searches and I can't find one... so let's start one.

Got a Dano? Join up!

Club rules... #1) you must own (and enjoy playing) a Danelectro bass. Dano clones are also accepted. #2) have fun!

Here's mine... a late 90s Danelectro Rumor.

[​IMG]
  2. portaflexer

portaflexer

Wow! No love for the Danos huh? That explains why there isn't a club. ;)
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Have one, absolutely hate it. Possibly the worst one they ever contracted, the "Dead-On '58" Longhorn.

Some are adequate, this model isn't. :spit:
  4. portaflexer

portaflexer

Well... I guess now we know why there isn't a Dano club on TB. ;)
  5. CnB77

CnB77

Don't worry I like Danos!

Don't currently own any though :c
  6. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I have a Danelectro Dano 63 short scale bass. It is a very cool retro looking and sounding bass, especially for the money.
  7. portaflexer

portaflexer

Well... Two is better than one Rob. :)

I guess that makes me member #1 and you member #2. If you want a number that is.
  8. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sure, I am proud of my Danelectro bass!!
  9. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

I'm in! I've got two first series MIK RI Longhorns... First up, Limo Black... This was taken on the night that I got this one back from my drummer... I had sold it to him because he wanted a bass to learn on, and then I immediately regretted it. After about six months of it sitting in the case under the bed, I convinced him to trade it back... It's the only thing in the photo that's still in my music room :D

[​IMG]

Here's the 'glamour' shot...

[​IMG]

Next up is the Blood Red Longhorn...

[​IMG]

Nancy Sinatra FTW!!

[​IMG]

Both these basses are very close in age, but they have some different characteristics... The LB is a little more subdued and lends itself well to flats. In an effort to beef up up the sound, I wired the pickups in series like a big humbucker and replaced the concentric pots with regular CTS pots... Did limit the tonality somewhat, but still gets it done. While I like it for that bass, I won't be changing the other.

The BR is more aggressive right out of the gate. It was badly neglected when I got it, but a good cleaning, setup and new strings quickly put things right :bassist:

While I'm not playing either of these basses out regularly right now, they both get the most rehearsal time in my music room and see stage time when the situation is right. Both are great basses and definitely keepers!

-robert
  10. portaflexer

portaflexer

All right! Now we've got a club going. :) Membership list so far...

1 - portaflexer
    2 - Rob Martinez
    3 - rllefebe
  11. portaflexer

portaflexer

BTW... where did u get that pickguard?
  12. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Here's my Coral Longhorn bass I had built a few years back. I also have a 1444 single-cutaway bass w/ dolphin headstock and I'm currently assembling a 6-string bass using a Coral Wasp neck and a Dano body.

body: The body was a NOS Coral Longhorn body I bought at Markle Music in Linton, IN around 1992. It was still in it's original packing box. The interesting thing is that this one had the pickups, neck pocket and controls already cut/routed. See a lot of them on ebay but they're always blank.

neck: The neck was carved from a NOS Danelectro bass neck blank I purchased from Anthony Marc, former owner of the Danelectro name. It was just a slab of poplar with the truss rods installed and a slotted fretboard attached. Headstock was added by my luthier along with a repro Coral logo.

electronics: Both pickups are original vintage Dano pickups I got in a trade from Echeverria guitars in Arizona. One pickup had no coil on it so I had the neck pickup wound to vintage specs. The pots are all 100K, just like the vintage Danos. Missing the switch tip for some reason.

hardware: Tuners are vintage Kluson singles. The bridge is a rosewood replica of the original w/ a rosewood riser. Since I could never find an original, the tailpiece is just a block of brass welded to a brass strip. I have a Coral amp logo I was going to attach to it but can't find it at the moment. Pickguard, pickup surrounds, and jack plate are all white pearloid.

The whole thing was assembled/finished by luthier Bill Stultz in Martinsville, IN around 2003.

[​IMG]

More pics: http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww172/theehman/Coral%20Longhorn/
  13. portaflexer

portaflexer

That is definitely a cool looking instrument! Thanks for sharing. Did you want a number?
  14. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Sure!
  15. portaflexer

portaflexer

Now we're cookin! One more and we've got a gaggle. :D

1 - portaflexer
    2 - Rob Martinez
    3 - rllefebe
    4 - The EH Man
  16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I own a Longhorn from the late 90s.
    I also own a long scale Dano 63.
  17. Abaroa

Abaroa

Hey !
    63 long scale here...

can I be # 6?

pics soon...
  18. portaflexer

portaflexer

Updated...

1 - portaflexer
    2 - Rob Martinez
    3 - rllefebe
    4 - The EH Man
    5 - Turock
    (I'm assuming you wanted a number)
    6 - Abaroa
  19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Cut out from a sheet of a magazine, calendar, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No number for me please.
  20. mongo2

mongo2

Heck I've got Danos, JJs...

Silvertone:

[​IMG]

I've even cobbled together a few Danos Dano never made:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll take lucky 7 if it's available.