D'angelo - Higher

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Magnus Scott, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

Hi There,

I’m a 16 year old bass player, auditioning for a music program preparing me for the Copenhagen music conservatory.

I’ve been trying to transcribe “Higher” by d'angelo, for some time now, but simply can’t the production is to muddy (is that what it’s called?). not even my teacher can do it.

If someone could make a transcription of Will Lee's bassline i would be pleased.

Thanks a lot.
  2. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

3. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

4. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

I think you should play something that you are really familiar and comfortable with. Some song you know REALLY well! If you cant transcribe that song and you are having hard time with it, then you shouldnt play it.

When you are trying to apply to conservatory you should always play songs that are "in your own level of playing". You should forget everything too hard. The jury will see your level right from the first notes you are playing. So, take some easier song and play it as well as you can :) dont take too big piece of cake if you cant swallow it!

Is there any reason you want to play this song?
  5. reitedasc

reitedasc

I second Mr.Typhus' great advice, but if it's just a small section of the song or the main groove I can try to help you out.
    You should also look in to transcription software that can slow down the song without changing the pitch and has eq tools to make the bass clearer.
  6. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

Well, I can play through the song, but there seem to be some kind of drum tuned G sharp, while the bass is playing A sharp on the first beat of the chord progression.
    what confuses me is, that i really can't seperate the bass part from things like that drum.

what this guy is playing, is not what i'm hearing at all...
  7. pmcd

pmcd

Such a great bassline by the great Will Lee.

That song does suffer from a lousy mix, largely due to the 808 kick drum being so loud. Try EQ'ing out all the low end and boosting the mid-range when you are transcribing.
  8. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

I really don't see it as a lousy mix, just a typical hip hop production.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

10. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

Thanks alot.
  11. cocobasser

cocobasser

I will have a full note for note Transcription with Tabs posted up in the next few days at www.cocosbassment.com

Will also have Chords too

I have lots at the site at the mo

Cheers
    Col