1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

Danley- designed Servodrive Contrabass Subwoofer - Ridgewood NY (Queens)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by K2000, Oct 27, 2013.

1. K2000

K2000

Fully functional Contrabass subwoofer in excellent cosmetic condition. Rat fur (carpet) covering (not tolex).

I'm sad to let this go, but it's not being used, and I live in Queens NY with limited storage space. Stumbled across it on Craigslist and purchased on a whim, hoping that I could integrate it into my live music setup, but that didn't happen. This should really belong to somebody who can put it to use. If you have room for it, it's also a nice conversation piece.

I am not posting this in the Amps forum (yet). That's next.

Local buyers can test it for functionality with your own amp and crossover, or you can use mine. It needs a Neutrik input... I have a 1/4" to Neutrik, and Banana to Neutrik cable, if needed (and if you bring your own amp). I prefer to sell to somebody who is already familiar with Servodrive subs, if that's possible.

$600, I am willing to ship inside the USA on your dime, with the method of your choosing. Local pickup is preferred, obviously. More photos can be taken, if you want them.

[​IMG]

2. K2000

K2000

This sub goes down to 16 hz. Specs are here (PDF download):

xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20507931/1799926176/name/ContraBass.pdf‎

There are four speakersÂ… two 15 inchers, and two 18 inch passive radiators (the speakers face out on two sides). There are no magnets in the speakers, they are driven by servo motors which can drive the speakers to full excursion (and stop them) faster than a magnet, making the low frequencies exceptionally accurate. You want damping? Okay then.

Designed by Tom Danley, the prototype units were used to transmit the mating calls of elephants in an African wildlife reserve (or was it rhinos? I forget).

I have never seen one of these units on Ebay. I believe the original retail price in the 90s was around $5000. Some people think these servo units are the best subwoofer designs of all time.

3. K2000

K2000

I had one person provide an estimate for shipping to California (from NY) for 450 dollars, including pickup/boxing/transport. Meaning that you can buy this sub and get it shipped to almost anywhere in the US for about $1100 or less, if you aren't located in the NYC area.

4. alotabass

alotabass

Is this sub still available?

5. Register to disable this ad