D'Aquisto strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mmbongo, Nov 8, 2009.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I haven't seen much talk about D'Aquisto here, does anybody use them? I've read they actually are a manufacturer (they wind their own) and that that make strings for a few popular brands.

BUT if you go to their website, it's reported as a malicious site and both my browsers block it. Sup with that?
  2. mmbongo

Wow, I had forgotten I started this thread. NOBODY uses D'Aquisto strings? Come on, now...
  3. BigFetus

BigFetus

Sounds like a D'Addario ripoff.
  4. mmbongo

I think they've been around just as long..if not longer..than D'Addario :eyebrow:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. reedo35

reedo35

7. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Oh no fella's ..... where's the love here :p

After all .... the P-Bass is really responsible for why we're even on TB .... yes/no?

They do seem to be favoring acoustic guitar strings ... at least according to their web site.

Here's a snippet from the site:
    D'Aquisto Strings are manufactured in our own factory by our own machines. What does this mean? It means that we not only wind our own strings, we also build the machinery on which the strings are wound. Our machinery is fully automated and state-of-the-art so that each string is made exactly the same every time.

Actually .... I just tried a set of Dunlop nickels in the .45-100 guage (I used D'Addario XL170's for so long anything else feels weird) and they are really terrific. They have an exceptional feel and really clear and full tone.

Never tried the D'Aquisto's though but hey .... that was the story for me with the Dunlops until recently. ya never know!

And ....I have to admit there are some seriously great basses out there but I also have to acknowledge that the P-Bass (and P/J-Bass) still have my heart! :hyper:
  8. neptoon

neptoon

not that anyone cares, but jimmy d'aquisto built some of the most iconic archtop guitars ever made and the man is held in high regard by carl thompson...granted, he died several years ago, but i can't imagine his strings being 'cheap' ...but, like anything else as highly subjective as instrument strings, to each his own...
  9. p-bass

p-bass Guest

neptoon,I have never used the D'Aquisto Bass strings,but a local pawn shop sells them for fifteen dollars a set. I played a couple sub gigs with a Guitar player who used them a few years ago,and he said he used them because they were "cheap".I agree 100%,to each his own when it comes to strings.
  10. neptoon

neptoon

shoot, knowing the reputation of their guitars, i would try them on the priniciple of the price alone
  11. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Neptoon,if you try the D'Aguisto Bass Strings,please report back and let us know what you think of them. I am sold on the DR Sunbeams and can't see myself using any other roundwound string.
  12. mileszs

mileszs

You're both idiots. Go play bass.
  13. Number27

Number27

i had a set of flats that came equipped to my italia when i bought it. they were like iron bars, so i replaced them (with pyramid golds)
  14. neptoon

neptoon

i'm pretty sold on my strings, too...i only chimed in because knowing jimmy d'aquisto's reputation, i just couldn't see his strings as being cheap (inexpensive, sure - cheap, not so much)...if i even check them out, i will say something, though...
  15. SamuelPaulBass

SamuelPaulBass

i recently (last night) strung some on my new Yamaha rbx 800a and they sound great, but are not the most comfortable strings. I have been playing for around 10 years and they feel like the wound is oval rather than round. Still sounds great and make me want to slap the snot out of them.

I don't know how much they cost cause I got them for free but I wouldn't pay more than 15-18 bucks for em. Slinkys are probably better anyway :)