1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Darkglass B3/7K Users - What other dirt pedals do you keep for variety?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Jan 30, 2014.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

If you own a Darkglass B7/3K pedal, what other dirt pedals have you kept a hold of to keep some variety in your tone box?

The 3/7 isn't a one-trick pony, but there are some things it doesn't do, or doesn't do well. I'm curious what you keep on your board and why.

I've got a B7K, and I'm currently holding a Blowtorch, but it isn't quite my flavor since I changed from a Warwick Thumb and Corvette $$ to a Nash P and J. I'm currently looking at an Empress for lots of variety in one pedal. Some of the Way Huge offerings have my attention. The Pork Loin does a nice warm/dark light overdrive I haven't coaxed from the B7K.

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Because my B7K is always on, mostly as a slightly dirty preamp, and I play a mix of bass and guitar, my other two dirt choices are the Empress Multidrive and the Empress Heavy. They cover all the ground I need, and both pair well with the B7K.

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I use the Source Audio OFD, SS/BS TAFM, and Brimstone Audio Crossover Distortion. All bases covered.

4. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

The B3K is fun to push but normally it plays a more subtle roll on my board too. I'm looking for an Oxide to feed my Xerograph but I'm thinking about getting a You're Doom in the meantime. I keep my B3K after my dirt/env and then run delay/chorus after it. Mine is always on too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

B7K user here. I run it as a clean preamp. No dirt dialed in. I've been using an OCD, ODB3, rat king, XD1 and a couple others that have been in and out of rotation over the last year. I just took the OCD and ODB3 off, that still scares me, because I added the duality and prunes and custard and now it's just the duality, rat king and prunes and custard and the XD1 pulling dirt duties. I'll say this as I have many times before, the 7 adds so much depth and vibrance to all my pedals that run into, which is all of them, but especially the dirt pedals. My main dirt up until a week or so ago was the OCD and ODB3. IMO the ODB3 and B7K combo KILLS! You add the OCD to those two and it annihilates. I was so happy with those three alone I rarely used any others. When I got the XD1 it made me rethink all my dirt choices as the OCD sadly didn't get along with the XD1. So it got booted. But otoh the XD1 can do the job of the OCD and the ODB3. One at a time of course but that's why I left the rat and duality on. The P&C for special passages. That XD1 was a game changer for me. But the 7 is and will be a very important part to my pedals and sound for years to come. It still amazes how my board sounds with and without it.

7. gregmon79

Btw, check the DG site for different 7 settings. They have a vintage setting that does a damn nice and warm driven sound. Check it out. I did. It's awesome.

8. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

B3K here it's always on as a tube type slight OD. For a bit more I use a Joyo Ultimate Drive, and complete saturation is with a GK Diesel Dawg. For Fuzz I use an EHX Deluxe Bass Muff, and for more modern fuzz I use an MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe. Covers all I need!

9. DinnerWithAGypsy

DinnerWithAGypsy Supporting Member

I also run my B7K as a clean preamp, bumping the lows, at 100Hz, to about one o'clock (not much, but it absolutely makes a difference).

Right now I have many additional flavors of dirt on my board, some that I haven't tried out yet (I literally just got done rewiring it). That being said, some of the following pedals will probably hit the road after a few test runs, but here's what I have now all the same:
    • Fuzzrocious The Demon
    • Fuzzrocious Rat Tail
    • Wren and Cuff TFR
    • Darkglass VMT
    • Fuzzrocious BDPG

10. metaball

metaball

Dwarfcraft Robot Devil for more drive & sq octave synth.
    WMD Geiger Counter CI w/ Bass mod for bitcrushed grit.

11. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Joyo Ultimate Drive.
    Killer pedal and less than $40.

12. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I should also make clear my B3K is always on. It's the last effect in the chain and I feel it sweetens up the sound of all my other pedals.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm using a Schumann electronics Lion and a Swell B-Tod with my b3k.

14. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    I have a Swollen Pickle that I use when I want just fat, thick saturation!

15. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

My B3K is the last dirt pedal in my chain, but sits before the Submarine preamp and Ditto looper.

Before that I have a Lomenzo Hyperdrive (high-mid frequency distortion, chime grind), parallel to a 2001RB (Diesel Dawg clone with mods).

I'll be replacing the Diesel soon with a green muff, as I used to run a TFR into the B3K for saturated low-mid grind/growl and I miss that alot. The Diesel gets close to what I want though, such a nice effect.

I turn the B3K on/off all the time to accentuate and change the voicing of other dirt effects and to accentuate the envelope filter (Bottom Feeder, DOD 442 clone by the company now known as Mojo Hand).

So my chain is:

in > Schism > B3K > VP-Jr > Ditto > Submarine > out
    Schism 1: Hyperdrive
    Schism 2: 2001RB > Bottom Feeder > Dispatch Master

Gonna add a phaser to that soon, very soon...

16. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

My Dawg sounds so thick and saturated run into my B3K. Just slays as a combo. I've got a muff for that as well, but everything sounds better through my B3K. Seems to just spread the distortion around nicely instead of being focused on a tighter EQ band.

17. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

My chain starts with:
    Mammoth clone -> Duality -> Rat Tail -> B7K -> Diamond Comp.
    Those last two are always on, and the B7K is 90% clean.

18. gregmon79

I retract my earlier statement. I had practice tonight and the XD1 is coming off and my beloved OCD and ODB3 are back on. In having a really hard time adjusting to the XD1. It's still a great pedal and it sounds absolutely wicked on it's own. But after two practices and a show with it, I'm finding I'm having problems stacking with other dirts. I just can't have that at this point in the game. My tone is the it is and I love it with the OCD and ODB3 on my board, why mess with a good thing?!

19. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

impressed with the number of "always on; last in line" replies. i decided to play around with some EQ settings tonight, and i'm finding some things closer to what i want. though it still isn't getting me close to a Pork Loin tone (from clips i've heard). the Pork has a different low end and compression flavor. it almost feels like the B7K low EQ is centered to low and the lo-mid is too high to dial in that warm, dark tone i'm after.

obviously, it doesn't do that Duality fuzz either, which may be another flavor i'm looking to add.

20. Guinness20

Guinness20

To all you b7k owners/users - I know the b7k is obviously both, but which do people use it for most - an od or a clean pre?

21. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I use it as a heavily colored clean pre, with the option of some crunch.