1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Darkglass b3k attack switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Nov 7, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

I just got my b3k us version and the attack switch is supposed to boost the ultra highs. Is it just me or is the effect designed to sound really subtle? I can't hear much of a difference between on and off tbh

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

When I flip it on it adds an extra bit of clank and some high end grit. It's pretty noticeable to me.

3. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

I though the same thing.

4. matante

matante

Are you using fresh strings?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

I would bet it has to do with either EQ settings on amp because it is pretty noticable.

7. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

I can hear the difference when I'm using it with my GK preamp which is very bright/clear sounding. Less noticeable when I'm using other types of preamps, depending on the settings. I find it useful sometimes but it's definitely subtle.

8. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Yes, the attack switch basically lets "through" more of the natural high end already present on the signal.
    If you have older strings, the effect will be a bit less noticeable because there will be less treble naturally present.
    If your amp or preamp is very dark, it may be cutting above the frequency range the switch boosts as well.

Thanks for the question and all the replies! You guys nailed it.

Regards,
    Doug.

9. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

glad im not the only one. Its weird cause im playing a stingray with fresh rounds and the difference is indeed not noticable to me.

If I sustain a note and play w the toggle switch(grunt, thin, fat) the sound changes drastically. However, the same cant be said when i play the attack switch.

maybe i need to try it with another amp

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

The effect is very subtle on my fretless; I leave it off when I'm using that bass because I turn down the highs on my onboard preamp already. The other switch is the magic switch for fretless bass distortion :)

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

The attack boost is the single most awesome feature that sets the B3K above all other distortions I've tried. IMHO

12. topo morto

topo morto

mine does nothing.

13. Berme

Berme

Mine is VERY noticeable thru my rigs. I do not scoop my highs on my basses or amps anyway.

14. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

My bass tone often, but not always, has a presence up into the 6K range. The attack boost does just what it says, it emphasizes the attack of the note, whether by pick or by finger, in a very clear and defining fashion. If it were too prominent an effect, it would get annoying rather quickly. As it is, it just brings my "cut through the mix" quotient to a "whole nuther level". It's always on when the B3K is engaged.

15. Darkglass

Disclosures:
    Hey! What preamp/amp are you using with it? If I use Hartke cabinets the effect is a lot more noticeable than with my 2x10 Ampeg... that's just because of the tweeters in the Hartke make the high end a lot more noticeable.

A good way to diagnose if the switch is working properly is to crank up the gain and level and see if activating it will increase the amount of hiss, just like any treble boost would.

Let us know.
    Regards, Doug.

16. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    That's what I like about it, just enough bite. I hate anything high boost for bass, but darkglass got this switch right- perfecto-

17. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

I find that its more prominent in some settings than others, and I guess its a good thing its not an over the top effect. It works really well in some rock context for that extra clank without sounding obnoxious.

Anyways, I have to say this pedal is defnitely worth the hype. Best o/d I have played to date. Perfect for those velvet revolver and muse-like sounds. Compliments the MP BBod real well

Only problem is that, at the rate these things are selling, every one else will sound like me : (

18. Darkglass

Disclosures:
    Thanks y'all for the comments and questions!
    I wouldn't be so worried about everyone sounding like you!
    One of the things I designed the Microtubes for is to be very transparent and truthful to your instrument's and rig's natural character... Same with dynamics and other technique subtleties... Unless everyone plays the exact same rig and in the same exact way as you, I wouldn't be too concerned :).

19. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball