1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Darkglass B3K OR B7K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4001, Oct 15, 2012.

1. 4001

I'm having a really frustrating and difficult time deciding on either the B3K or the B7K.

I do not really need the DI because I use the DI from my amp and I will be using the pedal for live shows.
    BUT, the EQ on the B7K......

Is the ability to EQ on the pedal that much of a difference over the B3K that would make the B7K the more desirable of the two?

There's no way for me to A/B the two because there are no Darkglass dealers around Chicago so that makes it difficult for me to know what I really need.

I never have had such a tough time deciding on an effect pedal.
    Can anyone that has either of the two or has tried both, help me figure out which one to get?
    I absolutly love the tones from the B3K on the Youtube demos I've seen but was wondering if I should just get the B7K and be done with it or forever be kicking myself for not getting it in favor of the B3K.

It's the last piece of gear for my rig and then after 31 years I will finally be finished building my entire stable of basses, amps and effects. What a great feeling that is to be able to say that...

But...

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!
    I am going around in circles trying to decide and it's driving me crazy!

:help:
  2. Durden26

Durden26 Supporting Member

I can't tell you which way to go. But, if you buy from Chad at bassefx.com he gives you a 60 day return policy. He also happens to carry both the b3k and b7k. Buy from him and return or not depending on your needs. He's a sweetheart of a dude too! I bought my Rat Tail and b3k from him.
  3. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Purely my opinion, but if it's the last step of my bass kingdom I can't imagine not getting the B7K. You're clearly happy with EVERY piece of gear you have, but you're wondering about this one. hmm....

If cost doesn't matter, grab the B7K and have the satisfaction of knowing you couldn't want more! :D
  4. 4001

I am leaning towards the B7K.... Just wondering if the EQ section will make it sound even better (if that is possible) than the B3K. Cost is a bit of an issue at about $150.00 more but yes, I am completly happy with all of my gear and this is the final piece of the puzzle.
    I guess what I'm wondering is if the EQ on the B7K is just too good to pass up. I'm starting to think yes but I'm just looking for as many opinions from current users of the pedals as possible.

And this too.....I like the improvements made to the U.S. versions but I need to know if the Finnish ones are any different in terms of sound in any way....although it might be too late for one of those.
  5. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

+1...Chad's AWESOME to deal with...I won't buy pedals from anyone else but him
  6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

I had both. Currently use the B3K. I liked the sound of the B7K in front of an amp, tried to use it as a standalone DI at 2 studio sessions and the engineer wouldn't use it at either place. VERY noisy DI and thin low end even when boosted all the way. These weren't hacks, one studio is very well known in these parts with several national recordings under their belt and the other studio is run by one of my best friends of 15 years who knows his stuff. The B3K is amazing, the best OD I've used. The B7K, in my case, was not worth the extra money. I returned it to bassefx and am very happy with just the B3K(which I now use with a 3 Leaf Enabler). Just my opinion from real world studio and gig experience.
  7. 4001

Thanks. Things worth considering there.
  8. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    The signal path is the same....the DI section is improved. I'm using bigger capacitors on the balanced out, so there shouldn't be low end loss even if you're driving a transformer input. Also on the USA version, the DI is still active when the pedal is bypassed.
  9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

B7K if ya got the money, B3K if ya don't.
  10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

What if your amp is stolen or busted? Or you don't want to bring it to a gig or a recording session? Having a DI on your board can be really convenient at times. And if you're like me, 100% of your sound is complete by the time it exits the board anyway (I run my amp rig pretty transparently), so what's the diff.
  11. alec

alec

Big difference, IMO. That behaviour always puzzled me in the past.
  12. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    The Finnish one was true bypass, so there wasn't a choice - in a true bypass pedal, the DI can't be active when the pedal is bypassed. The USA version is buffered bypass in order to send a signal to the DI all the time.
  13. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Supporting Member

/thread

You're not going to get a better answer than this!
  14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

VERY educational.
  15. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Best Darkglass info ever!
  16. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 I just sold my B7K last week I previously had the B3K and just loved it for that nice treble grit sound I like. I saw a B7K in the classifieds and thought wow it has to be better it has all of that tone control I had to have it didn't care what it cost. I had the pedal for one day and realized it was not as good as the B3K but I kept it because I knew I would never buy another one. I think it's noisy especially when I would try to dial in some grit the mid controls and treble control were useless I'm probably more sensitive to noise than some folks but I couldn't find a tone I liked at all the B3K was so easy to dial in and use I really miss it in my opinion save your money and get the B3K.
  17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

I assume you're using the Finnish version? Is there any reason to suspect that the US/3Leaf version might be better?
  18. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Based on what Spencer just said in this thread I'd say the US version has been upgraded and is likely quite good.

I have the B3K, It's great. But just because they make a great overdrive doesn't mean their eq pedal is going to be equally great in respect to other eq pedals. but i can't speak on the B7K since I've never used it.
  19. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Hollow man that's a great question I wonder about that as well I had both Finnish versions. I know every pedal isn't the same and I could have had a bad one? But it's a very expensive pedal and I won't risk it again I think I would jump on a Finnish B3K again I hear the U.S version is the same pedal but I like some people don't have anywhere to test one out.
  20. 4001

Thanks for all the replies so far! Keep 'em coming. I'm still not sure which one to get yet though. I'm sure this thread will help me narrow it down with all of your opinions/suggestions and knowledge.