Darkglass b3k vs MXR M-80 distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bunyo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Bunyo

Bunyo

OK. I asked this question here and there but nobody is responding. Maybe I will have more luck in this new thread.
    Got a question about overdrive or even more important a distortion effect on these two pedals. How would you compare them? Can b3k reach almost fuzzy distortion of M80 or is it more subtle ( I guess)? Also M80 with colour switch, which is always on while using a distortion, is mid range scooped. Does b3k also acts similar? I have feeling after watching vid clips that M80 has more low end, is it true?
    Last thing is a question about combining both effects? Anybody run them in combo? Whats you thoughts?

Thanks

Luke
  2. Bunyo

Bunyo

Nobody??? C'mon :rollno:
  3. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

I owned the M 80 for a few years, and I actually use the B7K.

The M 80 is a very nice, good sounding and versatile pedal. The preamp and DI parts of the pedal are really nice, and i used it a lot for small gigs. The OD part is quite good too, but i disliked the fact that the "color" switch automatically comes in when you activate it.

I bought the B7K for the same purpose, but mainly for the OD part. The thing that made me choose the B7K was the bright, modern OD sound that you could get out of it. You can still get this sound with the M80, but the B7K (or B3K) sounded really better to my ear.

If you're looking for a good OD, i would suggest you to go for the B3K. If you want a versatile tool, you should go for the M 80. If you have enough money, you should go for the B7K. ;)
  4. Bunyo

Bunyo

What abour having both? Wonder how will they play together using m80 as a booster.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

I don't think that having both would be really interesting, as they are both supposed to do more or less the same thing.
    I never tried to use the M80 as a boost, but even if it could probably work pretty well, i wouldn't see the point of using such a pedal as a simple boost.
  7. Bunyo

Bunyo

I like M80 distortion. But I believe that b3k would be more articulate, more clear. So normally will use b3k, maybe through M80 preamp, and occasionally will fire M80 distortion with more beefy settings.