1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Darkglass B7K or B3K + other preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nikki271027, Dec 28, 2012.

1. nikki271027

nikki271027

I'm curious about darkglass B7K,but i have heard somebody said they like B3K more than B7K.
    B7K's preamp seems not as good as its distortion.
    I have a VT bass,so i consider using only B7K or using B3K into my VT Bass.
    Can someone help me?
    Thanks.
  2. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

The B7K is better IMO because you can use it as an eq, DI and it has the same distortion/od as the B3K. If I had to chose between the two (and I did), I'd go with the B7K. The extra tone shaping options make this pedal come to life. SOOOOOOOOO amazing.
  3. willsellout

willsellout

Get the B7K.
  4. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

B7k all the way!
  5. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I would say that it heavily depends on your usage. If you want the EQ to just shape the distorted tone or want to have the distorted tone + EQ as an always on thing, then go for the B7K. If what you are looking for is having tone shaping that can be applied independently of the distorted tone (as an always on preamp, a stompable separate EQ, or even just as a boost) then go B3K + preamp. Again, it really depends on how you intend to use the EQ section.
  6. ysand

ysand

What the guys above said, plus adding that the EQ of the B7K is a VERY good one IMO
  7. nikki271027

nikki271027

So B7K is better than B3K+VT Bass.
    I will sell my VT Bass to get a B7K. :)
  8. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

I vote B7K all the way. The tone shaping is pretty fantastic and incredibly useful! I use it both as a clean boost and light OD. IMO the B7K is worth every cent of its extra cost.
  9. willsellout

willsellout

Mine is never off. All I do is reach down and turn the drive knob up or down depending on what I need.
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I just bought another B3K I had the B7K and hated the tone shaping to me it just added extra noise the mid controls were unusable. I heard the USA model is an improvement over the Finnish model especially in the DI department so if you go the B7K way I would get the updated model.
  11. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Same here. I've never had an "always on" pedal, but I can now say that I have arrived!
  12. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I run my BK3 into my VTBass and I am really digging the sound. If i needed a DI (I don't) I would spring for the BK7, but i would probably still keep my VTBass.

I don't think you can't go wrong either way.

Good Luck!
  13. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

quick question: For those using a B7K for the DI, are you running it at the beginning of your chain still and just running your overdriven tone to FOH? Do you use any other effects?

Just wondering why have a DI at the front of your chain if you use other effects.
  14. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

When I use it as a DI, I put it at the end of my chain for this reason.
  15. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: DarkglassElectronics.com
    What I like of both Microtubes is that they work well both on their own as well as with other preamps!
    My rule of thumb is to use them to enhance or dirt up a tone you already like!

If you're running a chain of other pedals and you want the whole signal to be played by the PA then you should have the B7K at the end of the path.

Regards!
    Doug.
  16. NoxNoctus

Gotcha. Never thought about putting an overdrive at the end. I just picked up a B3K (uh-mazing!) and I'll have to check it out!
  17. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Ideally, I like to think of an overdrive pedal much like overdrive from a tube amp, where you are using other effects to push and shape the tone you are feeding the drive stage. Unfortunately a lot of overdrive pedals just don't sound that good being pushed by other effects and certainly don't react like a tube amp. So far the B3K is one of the few drive pedals I've found that actually sounds best to me at or near the end of the chain, and does a good job of imparting its tone in that way without getting too compressed and mushed up by the effected signals going into it like many drive pedals I've used.
  18. NoxNoctus

Yeah I have no idea why I never thought of it that way. Long term blonde moment :p. I've got a 2 channel amp using the second as a slight overdrive boost. I always thought of in the pedal realm, gain boosts up top with compressor. I've got some tinkering around to do. Back to the [DEL]drawing[/DEL] pedal board! :bassist:
  19. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: DarkglassElectronics.com
    Awesome... by far the best option is alway the one you like the best ;).
  20. NoxNoctus

Amazing little thing you've made here, Douglas. I've wanted this tone for years! I've tried it out both ways, sounds best to me up front. Now, a Vintage Microtubes DI in place of a SansAmp VT DI at the end of my chain may be in order when the time comes :D