Darkglass Duality capabilities

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Jan 25, 2014.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Forgive me, I've been playing and searching with/for this particular realm of sound and could use advice.

Can the Duality serve up some mock Woolly Mammoth sounds? Or is it unique unto itself for what it brings to the fuzz arena?

I've never owned a Mammoth or any variant and am only familiar with what I've heard through Youtube.
  2. seedokebass

seedokebass Supporting Member

Also wondering that. Subbed.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It can do more traditional style muff sounds very well IMO. The right side of the duality knob (past noon and on) can get in to wooly territory I think. The filter knob helps a lot here too. I've never played a wooly before but I've watched a lot of YouTubes on it and I believe you can get in the same territory as the wooly. So, yeah, IMO, you can. And much much more.
  4. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Bump-

Any other thoughts?
  7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I don't own a Duality but I would not describe what I've heard in the demos as Muff-like. JMO.
  8. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

I do have it though. And I have gotten traditional muff style voices out of it. On the other hand, you are correct in stating that it can get non-traditional style fuzz sounds.
  9. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

You see the frustrating thing is that I have one too and I've had limited time to play with around with it. I've also got a Tall Font Russian but I'm considering selling that and sticking with the Duality.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if the Duality can get me close to a muff and then close to a Mammoth or if I should hang onto the TFR for my muff needs.
  10. Adamixoye

I wasn't trying to undermine you, I'm just a little surprised to hear you say that. And as I said, I was basing it on the video demos. Also, FWIW, I don't think either "side" of the Duality is really intended to be a Muff-style circuit, and for all the Muff clones that are out there, I think that should sort of count for something in the discussion. It's also possible you and I have a different idea of what a Muff sounds like.
  11. johnbegone

johnbegone

Media:
    I own both the Duality and a mammoth clone and recently added the Mastotron. I'm also using the Oxide. For me, those three circuits of gated fuzz are very different. The Duality is closer to the Mammoth than the oxide, but they aren't interchangeable. The Duality isn't as zippery/sputtery as a mammoth, at least how I use mine. Duality is certainly MUCH more versatile and has a bunch of great tones with the added benefit of a clean blend. If you are listening to Mammoth videos and want that sound, I would get a mammoth.
  12. Guinness20

Guinness20

Could somebody stick up any clips of a duality getting a muff sound? I'm considering the tfr along with the musket, but if the duality's capable of that sound plus a whole lot more I might have to go for that instead.
  13. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

I think you're right about us having different ideas on what a muff sounds like. To me when I think muff as the TFR or an EHX big muff. While the duality has a cool fuzz sound all it's own, IMO it can still do muff sounds. I've never been a fan of the TFR and EHX muffs but I still think the duality can get in the same territory but in a much better way. It's not as bland or one dimensional. That's just me.
  14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

My mammoth clone has a much narrower, more focused, sputtery sound than the duality, which is wider and bigger sounding. They sound quite different. If I didn't have the mammoth clone, I might think the duality copped it pretty well. As it is, they are two different sounds that fit differently into a mix.
  15. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

It sounds NOTHING like a Mammoth IMO. I've owned both, so I feel that I can properly compare.

The Duality mostly reminds me of the Depth Charge. Maybe it's because of how well it's blended? Not sure. It seems to be very unique to me. I'd be interested to know what circuit it's based on.

It definitely can get tons of different tones too. Super versatile.
  16. Adamixoye

My understanding is he was really trying to build it up from scratch, inasmuch as that is possible. So I don't think it's "based" on anything.
  17. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I think the circuit is unique.
  18. Jensby design

Jensby design

It sure sounds that way, Unlike the Wooly Mammoth which is very similar to a Fuzz Face.
    I would love to see a schematic :meh:does that make me a nerd:confused:
  19. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Been thinking about it the past few days. I think I may either go back to my Wren & Cuff TFR and add in a Mammoth clone (i.e. 4 Wheeler) to have two distinct fuzz types or just abandon the idea of different fuzz types and stay with the Duality and call it a day.

There's definitely a chemistry between the Duality, VMT, and B7K
  20. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: DarkglassElectronics.com
    IME the left side on the Duality is not that far from the Mastotron actually. The right side resembles more a high gain fuzz, perhaps only less compressed and the blend of both sides is pretty wacky and will change a lot depending on what else you've got set up.

Hope this helps!
    Doug.
  21. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Hey Doug, thanks for the help!

Coincidentally, I find that I've been hanging out quite a bit on the left side of the pedal. I can't get a sound I don't like -- just different sounds I prefer in certain situations.

I've also been considering the 3leaf You're Doom to compliment this pedal but haven't decided...

Doug; Duality marks my 3rd Darkglass pedal. Just love how they all work together but still allow me to hear the character of my 'Boogie Walkabout! Awesome work :bassist: