DarkStar Pick Ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by franksgbass, Apr 11, 2012.

1. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

After reading about Darkstar pickups I am intersested in putting one in the neck position of my SG bass. I recently learned that I prefer single coil pickups over humbuckers because of the way they sound with effects and the general growl of them. Does anyone have an SG or EB-3 with Darkstars? Is there a specific way to wire them? Any info on the topic would be great.
  2. Gabeja15

Gabeja15

There is a ton of information on Darkstar pickups throughout this forum. However, you may want to know that they are almost impossible to find now. The builder at Hammon ceased production and they are few and far between on the used market.

There are some viable alternatives. I've heard favorable comparisons to chi-sonic single coils, although they may not fit as a drop in replacement in an EB-3.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Last I heard Fred is no longer making Darkstar pickups.

Have them in a Lakland USA Decade wonderful passive pickups.
  4. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

Thanks or the info guys. So I read a bit about the Chi Sonics and it seems they will fit in my Sg Bass. However there is no ordering info at all. Do they sell them or is it just avail in Lakland basses?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS Supporting Member

Search for Hanson pickups. They make them for Lakland. Cost is around $135. You can email them for a quote.
  7. mgod

mgod

Dark Stars will be available again soon. I have a pair in an EB-3, they sound like god.
  8. mgod

mgod

Difficult to attach here.

Attached Files:

9. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    tell us moore about them being available again???
  10. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

yes. do that.
  11. mgod

mgod

Fred's getting them back into production. Probably still a few months off.
  12. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    I hope so. love the 3 i have
  13. Low-Bottom-E

Low-Bottom-E

Where did you hear this? He doesn't answer calls or emails & owe's me a Darkstar or the money...2 years this mid, June...
  14. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Sell em as a pair...to me:hyper:
  15. Low-Bottom-E

Low-Bottom-E

"Has anyone seen the bridge?", cuz this pair just jumped...Over on EvilBay/GBP, May 20, 2 different nutjobs each paid $450 for a SINGLE Darkstar...one for the neck & one for the bridge...
  16. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

They are great pickups. I loaded a restored EBO with a pair (routed for the second pickup) and loved it. More recently, I restored a Guild M-85 and loaded it with a pair of Dark Stars and retrofitted a very cool Alembic-inspired bridge. It sounds fantastic. Great bass, but I don't play it often because I'm playing long and extended scales. Here's a pic. I can't recommend a Dark Star highly enough for your SG. Great to hear Fred's going to build more DS's, Dan. I want one in a P bass I've been saving.
  17. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

if that's the case I want 2 more.....

I have no idea what bass I'll put them in but I just want them anyway
  18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

He is definitely NOT reliable in my experience either.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

20. dlenaghan

dlenaghan Supporting Member

A French luthier named Roger Daguet has worked up a replacement in Fred Hammon's absence. He has kept all the original spec materials, eg, wire gauge, magnet dimensions and materials, but has re-housed them to fit a wider variety of instruments without routing. It's small-scale production now and they're not cheap, but Roger's been pretty quick with his replies and given that he's actually followed through and put them together (I initially asked about this maybe 6-7 months back) is a good sign. Basically, he builds a certain number and sells out of that stock so you'll never get a "Wait just a bit longer" reply when you've paid - you don't pay if he doesn't have any, and it seems he's reacting to demand.

Daguet Guitars Bisonic
  21. RDagBasses

RDagBasses

actually 23 made, it's time consuming and not a vey interesting job... but it looks like someone has to do it! some more pictures . (note: the bisonic is just here to compare the difference)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]