1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Darkstar Rickenbacker: Redux

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willsellout, Mar 13, 2010.

1. willsellout

willsellout

So when I got this bass it had a few problems. Most of which involved the electronics and the hack job that was done with the install. The bass was noisy as hell and the tone knob was absolutely useless; It would simply turn everything to mud. So I went in to shield it, change out the electronics and rewire everything. There is a lot of extra wire in the cavity right now for a couple reasons:
    1. I was afraid I'd screw something up and need to cut and redo.
    2. These pots are temporary. I'm waiting on some 250K pots and a couple different caps for the final install.

I'm going to rewire it when I get the parts in but it's working beautifully now and it sounds killer! A lot less noise, and the tone knob works great. Here are some pics for you all:

Here is what I started with. A hack job with cat 5 cable. I don't know who did this but they did a horrible job. Both leads to the pickups had to be replaced when they snapped off after removing the pickups. Then the dude used cat 5 cable for the wiring for some odd reason. This person also made a lot of weird wiring choices that were poorly executed IMO.

[​IMG]

Gutted:
    [​IMG]

The pickup cavities:
    [​IMG]

Shielded:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is before I soldered together the pieces of course:D

Here she is fully wired:
    [​IMG]
  2. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Looks clean man. Except for the 3 feet of wire! :p Have you adjusted to the neck yet?
  3. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah, lots of wire. That will be cleaned up on version 2.0:D

Haven't needed to adjust the neck, which is not uncommon in the Ric's I've encountered. They seem to sit still no matter what you do...good for them.
  4. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Sorry man, I thought you posted a while ago that the neck was a little bigger than you like. I love the way it looks!
  5. willsellout

willsellout

The neck is definitely bigger than I like but the sound is worth it. I'm adjusting to it and it's working out pretty well so far.
  6. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

can you describe the darkstars, are they hot, treble heavy pickups? always wanted to try a bass with darkstars but none to be found down here...
  7. gaffster787

gaffster787

if the cat 5 cable was shielded, so not that bad of a choice really if soldered correctly. is that a polarized, leaky, electrolytic cap? not so sure about that choice over a ceramic for such small values of C.
  8. GM60466

GM60466

very clean look
  9. willsellout

willsellout

They are both hot and trebly, but they are really punchy with a nice upper mid response to them. I don't normally like a lot of treble but these pickups are very pleasing to the ear. They sound huge and are really responsive to technique. If you dig it, they get LOUD. I've had to adjust the pole pieces quite a bit to find the spot that works; very sensitive.

Wasn't shielded and for a job like this in such a tight space, the CAT 5 was a bad choice. It was a lazy piece of work. The dude used cat 5 for the ground from the switch to the jack and didn't even try to cut it to fit. The whole job was lazy and I hope that whomever had this done didn't pay for it.

About the cap, I don't believe it's electrolytic. I grabbed whatever cap I had that was .047. I'm not completely happy with the sound though so I'm going to swap the pots and caps for different values that I think I'll like a bit better.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I just tried a Landing bass with DS last night. The mids are quite upfront, the treble is pulled back and the low-end seems full, but not overly bassy. They are quite hot.

There is a thread in the pickups forum with some links to sound samples.

/Derail
  11. Tarrbot

Tarrbot

How is this a redux thread without any pics of the Darkstars at all? ;)
  12. Ferniff

Ferniff

A rickenbacker with Darkstar pickups? Can you reupload the pics?