1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Daryl Johnson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Coco', May 15, 2005.

1. Coco'

Coco'

Does anybody know something about this great bass player? (he has played with daniel lanois, chris whitley, emmylou harris). I can't find nothing about him on the web.
    Thank you.
    K

2. asantedae

asantedae

i might be able to help you a little if your going to be discreat you know email me daryljhnsn@gmail head the title ayo please one love

3. otis_thick

otis_thick

It took almost 3 years to find who made "big sky country " bassed on hearing just the tale end of the song...the frettless grabbed me... Thank you Daryl What were you using?

:bag:

4. crackerman

crackerman

Old thread, but I thought I would revive it.

I just found out about Daryl's playing today. It appears he is in a new project called "Black Dub" with Chris Whitley's daughter "Trixie." It appears that they are still in the process of recording, but there a some videos of their practice sessions on youtube.

Can't wait for the CD to come out, I am going to pick it up for sure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. faivy

faivy

I'm late to the game too but the EBO tones on this are stunning!

7. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I missed this thread the first time around, I'll be all over this album when it comes out. The awesome Spyboy rhythm section.

8. Captain Simian

Captain Simian

The Black Dub record comes out 11/2 but I'm under the impression that Daryl is no longer in the band. Shame really because I dig his playing.

9. retardedpossum

retardedpossum

I can't wait for the Black Dub cd to come out. I heard I believe in you on the radio and stopped dead in my tracks. That is some great play Daryl.

10. tonebrulee

tonebrulee

No kiddin' 'tard - you got that right. CD just came out yesterday. You can stream the entire album here too for the time being.

For anyone who hasn't see any of the Black Dub videos check this out. Stunning in every possible way. And Daryl Johnson's bass line is just a stone cold monster.

Haven't seen anything to suggest Daryl Johnson isn't in the band - he's well represented on the Black Dub website. For anyone interested, they'll be doing a quick 8-date tour later this month. Seein' them in Boston 11/15 - cannot flippin' wait!

11. cnltb

cnltb

When I first heard daryl johnson, on "living with the law" by Chris Whitley( was addicted to that album for a good while when it first came out) I thought his playing was real tasteful and very much right for the music. Fantastic
    I think the same of his playing on black dub.
    I just don't really like Trixie Whitley all too much,and think she's quite weak in the songs where she is not the only singer,when compared with the other voices.

It's a very nice album though I think.
    I do however think that the production and the bass playing has more to do with that than the songs themselves which I think are not all too deep.
    I find the drums a little bit far down in the mix at times but the bass playing sits real well and lanois's guitar tone is in itself interesting and supportive-just real good I think.

Check out Brian Blade's album "Mama Rosa" also.
    It is one of the real musical understated and well produced albums I have heard this year.

12. faivy

faivy

I like the whole thing.
    I think Trixie is killer on vocals. I'm just sorry Montreal isn't a tour date as they were booked to play our Jazz festival before the accident messed that up...and more.

13. old crow

old crow

I like his tone soo much I bought an old EBO and guess what, if you use a light touch it's got that tone.
    He's an amazing bassist . I first saw him w/ Emmylou and Spyboy.
    What else has he done ??

14. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

http://allmusic.com/artist/darryl-johnson-p90954/credits

I first got hip to him when he was with the Neville Brothers.

15. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Disclosures:
    The Truth Is Out There
    Just thought to post links to a few more vids.

The NPR tiny desk clip, illustrates the power of good songs to stand, shine actually, with sparse accompaniment.

Trixie, is just amazing!

And she was certainly in fine form on these clips.

Jim Wilson, on bass in the last two clips.

16. Elrend

Elrend

I completely forgot there was a bassist there because of Brian Blade.

17. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Disclosures:
    The Truth Is Out There
    Yeah, heh.
    Really good chemistry in Black Dub.

Lanois, is a maestro alchemist. :D

I recently viewed the DVD, "here is, what is" in some of the footage shot in Shreveport, LA. he joins Brian Blades father Brady Blade SR. in his church, for a rendition of "last time".

The way he sampled Brady Sr. for the songs final album cut is very well done.

A really great flick to take in, if you are so inclined.

18. Coco'

Coco'

I almost forgot this one. Btw, what is Mr. Johnson main bass? (I can't see any of the videos you posted due to sony restrictions...). Thanks.

19. faivy

faivy

With Black Dub he seems to be using an old EBO and a 64 or so single pickup T-Bird

20. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Black Dub is/was great!

21. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

He's done some work on a lot of stuff, I just discovered this:

Check out the incredibly tasty bass, plus a bass solo!