1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dating an Ampeg V4

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Jan 8, 2013.

1. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Now before some of you MAY suggest or say, or scream, :D "there are tons of threads on this subject already, or check out that cool Ampeg V4 website" I was just wondering if some of you experts could somehow date/estimate this for me just by giving it a quick look.

I just purchased this yesterday and it did obviously not arrive yet, but the seller has agreed in letting me use his pictures of the amp to post on here. I know I could just be patient and wait for the amp to arrive, but where is the fun in that?! :bag:

Any other information would be greatly appreciated, and as always, any input or comments are more than welcome! Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My guess is 73 or 74, and wow, what a cherry looking head!
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

72-75 is the best I can do. Looks minty fresh though. Those cap cans look like they could be original in the back there, try seeing if one of them has a date/date code on it.
  4. BassSurfer

Gentlemen, thank you very much. When it arrives here tomorrow or the day after, I will be able to do a full inspection on it. The thing is, I have always wanted one of these things and finally tracked one down. The anticipation is killing me! Funny, the two guys I was hoping for to comment, did!
  5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Great condition, early 70s for sure.
  6. capncal

capncal

i've been dating my Ampeg SVT 200t for a few months now. she's great. no back talk and she unleashed plenty of thunder on my command. i say go for it! she may be a bit older, but them older dames sure know how to rock!
  7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    that's a beauty! congrats.
    my guess is a '71 or '72.
  8. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Beat me to it! :D
  9. BassSurfer

Hahaha, you guys are great :p

Thanks for all of the comments and clarifications guys!