1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dave Brockie found dead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boom762, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

This is a major loss to nerd music. For those of you who dont know him, he played Oderus Urungus in GWAR. One of my fav. bAnds and the best concert Ive ever been to. They got over the loss of their lead guitarist last year but I dont think you can replace the frontman when hes been the only one for 30 years. Sad times we live in.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=858590&ocid=ansent11

[​IMG]

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Please tell me this is an internet rumor :bawl:

3. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

4. Boom762

Ive been discussing whether or not the band will live on. I dont think it will. 2 founding members in 2 years and they go through bassists like underwear. Brockie was the REASON why they were funny. All the youtube videos of them going out to places and door to door were all funnier with him talking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I had the pleasure and honor for opening for Gwar in 1996, Dave was one of the nicest people I have ever met, he was super funny and really smart. This is very sad news indeed

7. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

In high school, wearing a white t shirt to their concert and wearing it to school the next day was somewhat of a badge of honor. Great band and great frontman. Scumdogs is one of my favorite albums.

RIP my friend.

8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

my twitter feed is going to be boring now.

9. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Sad news. I can confidently say that seeing GWAR live was one of the best musical experiences of my life. Black armbands and immortal corruptor for me tonight.

10. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

RIP Oderus Urungus. His biting social commentary wonderfully disguised in various bodily fluids made the world a better place.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

This is terrible news! RIP, he was an original for sure.

13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Bummer news for sure!
    Though I did stop following Gwar for quite some time, Scumdogs and America Must Be Destroyed were very influential albums in my formative teenage years. In the past few years it was neat seeing random stories about Gwar still pissing people off and even that Dave was getting some acting chops in as Oderus in Holliston.

RIP, Dave.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkA76KpWO8#t=156

14. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

I have seen GWAR 4 time but I missed them the last few times through because I figured I could always catch them the next time around. I guess I will regret that for awhile. They really put on an amazing show that few can top.

15. Boom762

The band put out the word that on Tuesday morning they will make an official anouncment on this.

16. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

17. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Man, that hurts. I've seen Gwar once but it was easily one of the craziest and most fun shows I've ever had the pleasure to experience.

Brockie/Oderus also always seemed like one of the coolest guys out there. Everytime I saw him in an interview the guy was always hilarious and witty. Truly a great loss.

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I've been a GWAR fan since 1990. Really bummed to hear Brockie died. I'll give Scumdogs a good listen tonight.

20. deeptubes

deeptubes

I was lucky enough to see those guys before his phallus was confiscated. That was such a fun show. Kind of like a heavy metal musical/opera. They typically came through my area in the fall, pretty much every year. This is such a bummer.

21. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Saw GWAR back in the early 90's with "The MeatMen" probably the most fun I've had at any show. I really didn't know what to expect going in, but I should have suspected something when the venue had plastic lining draped on the walls. My friends workboots were permanently stained with various fluids they spewed forth from the stage, made for a great reminder of a memorable evening.