1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dave Holland: Is this guy god or what?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by smither12, Dec 5, 2013.

1. smither12

smither12

I just want to share this amazing concert I found with Dave Holland's quartet's featuring Chris Potter, Steve Nelson, and Nate Smith. This is one the most amazing concerts of watched on youtube of him and I must say its a conversation from a higher plane. I like Dave Hollands rhythmic sense in his bass lines - hes always mixing it up, he just propels the band like no other. Comment what you think!
    lorianb likes this.
  2. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Yes he is.
  3. jake3

jake3

all four musicians are great, and Holland is certainly a god, but I think Nate Smith carries the evening on drums.
  4. dbass87

dbass87

Yes! I've watched a lot of him with his quintet/ quartet, love it. There's a clip of them playing a song called Looking Up with Billy Kilson on drums that is amazing. They can really flip the beat around and still stay on the groove, it's crazy. That's one thing I've loved about DH, most of his stuff is in different odd time sigs but he always grooves the heck out of it.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Dave has had one monster drummer after another in his bands. I have no idea where he finds them!

He comes to Boston at least once a year and I make sure I see him every time, every band since he started his first quintet back in the 80s has been incredible.

He's in town with his Prism band next week..first plugged in band he's been in since he left Miles. Can't wait!
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

New York....
  7. cnltb

cnltb

Yup...HE COOL!
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

9. cnltb

cnltb

No.
    None will argue that he actually exists ;).
    He is also an amazing musician!:hyper:

Thanks for sharing this very exciting video!
  10. Bruce Lindfield

11. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Blizzard kept me from seeing Dave last Thursday...not only missed the show but I'm out $66 for the tickets. Severely bummed...
  12. dbass87

dbass87

Man that sucks... You mentioned above about seeing him different times. Did you ever see him with Billy Kilson on drums? That would have been killer, that guy is quite insane on his instrument.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

I saw the quintet with Billy Kilson in a fairly large venue and I felt he "drowned" Dave out - he was so loud and busy that you could hardly hear the bass . I love his playing on records though! :)

It was an appearance at "Selected Signs", ECM's 30th Anniversary Festival in Brighton.
  14. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

Oh dear.......... He's a double bass player, and bloody good at it.
  15. boylebass

boylebass

Dave Holland is very talented, one of the best bassists out there today. Superb technique in every facet of playing; time, tone, taste, intonation,etc... He has had a significant impact on my playing.

I had the opportunity to study with him and his band (Potter, Eubanks, Nelson, Smith had recently joined the band) during a residency he did at my school when I was studying for my master's. Played in a master class for him (he played my bass!), rhythm section clinic, concert in our rehearsal hall with just our jazz band, and a public concert. Got to hang. I asked him if he was apprehensive about joining Miles' band- his reply- paraphrased- "my only apprehension was that he wouldn't dig what I had to say". That really stuck with me.

I've seen him twice since then. His band always kills. Chris Potter is amazing.

This summer at ISB, I was seated by myself in one of the small venues awaiting the Michael Formanek concert (amazing gig). He came and sat next to me. I almost pissed myself. I told him that something he said to me years ago had stuck with me and we chatted for a bit. He's a great guy.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

17. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

God wouldn't DI a piezo to FOH.
  18. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    :D
  19. Nick303

Nick303

20. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

Hell, I'm an Atheist, and I believe he sounds pretty great...

Thanks.