1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

David CERTAIN Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassarama, Mar 2, 2014.

1. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Is anyone out there owning/playing or tried these Fender style basses. They are assembled in St Louis MO. and appear to offer a good bang for the buck ?

I am curious as to why these basses are not as main stream as say Warmouth, ESP, or other like basses. The builder himself makes no bones about the "Asian" secret of pickups that he favors over more popular and costly American ones.

Any comments ?

www.certainbass.com

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Love my CertainBass- didn't enjoy the experience of having it built.
    David is an OK dude- but he couldn't be bothered to rush a job or return an email.
    Most CertainBass owners LOVE their instruments- many had the same experience of slow build little communication.
    My two cents? Try and find one you like that he already assembled.

3. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I can't comment about his basses...I don't own one yet. However, I LOVE his "Variometers". I have on on my VM Precision & my VM Jazz 70s. I love what it does for them tonally. On the Precision, in particular, it replaced what I had considered to be a completely useless "tone" control, and gave me many more choices as to what I wanted the sound to be.

They're worth checking out, and are a real value, especially compared to the StellarTone ToneStyler.

4. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

I emailed DC about one of his builds that was for sale here in the Classifieds awhile back. I asked a couple of polite questions. His snarky reply made me 100% "certain" that I will never own one of his basses! :spit: JMHO of course, YMMV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I purchased one a few weeks ago off TB Classifieds…it was $595.
    I have not played any shows with this bass but it's sitting right here on my couch and I have been playing it since I received it..I have an ACME B 1 with my Eden WT550 and at low volumes it sounds great...it's extremely well made..take a close look at the nut…it sets up and has all the classic J Tones.. the weight is just right for me…I look forward to cranking this bass up and playing a few sets…I had a few email exchanges with him and they were fine..he answered my questions.

DSC_5110.jpg

DSC_5120_2.jpg

7. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

No denying it, that is a beautiful bass. Happy to hear that you had a better experience too.

8. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Let me also add that I had several email contacts and a phone call with David Certain before I ever bought anything from him, and his dealings with me were always informative and professional. He even helped me with wiring instructions for a DC Variometer that I bought here on TB used, in which he made no profit from my purchase at all. This and my other dealings with him resulted in me also buying a new custom Jazz control plate w/Variometer from him directly.

I hope one day to have him make a custom bass for me.

That's my Certainbass experience.

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

Can anyone compare these basses to an MIA Fender? These look the most like a parts bass out of any boutique builder I've seen.

What's the deal with these, as far as production goes?

10. pudgychef

pudgychef

I have only played one..it was used at a L and M in PEI...it was decent but didn't impress me enough to purchase it at $500 CAD when i had driven an hour with the intent to snag it

Fwiw i liked the Classic 60s J better and feel an MIA Standard J is a much better bass (for more $)
    Imho ime ymmv

11. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

He's local to me. I emailed him once trying to get his address for a setup and he was extremely defensive and came off as rather rude. Maybe he was just having a bad day but I went elsewhere.

12. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

He sent me an insulting PM here on TB. I showed it to a mod and he received a temporary ban. I won't be dealing with him, there are plenty of other builders making Fender style instruments.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love my bass from David high quality and he really helped me.