1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

David Hayes - Van Morrison, et al

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Anyone else a fan of David Hayes' work?

In addition to playing on all my favorite Van records, he also played bass on Tanita Tikaram's "Everybody's Angel," a sublime record IMHO. Always tasteful and just inventive enough to add the proper amount of interest, without sacrificing the groove or calling too much attention to oneself. Hard to do. Great to hear when it's pulled off.

I see there was a member here named David Hayes, who has since been banned. I hope that's not him.

2. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Yeah, I love his stuff with Van the Man.

3. MR PC

MR PC

He's a nice guy too. Look at the discog, he has played and recorded with an awful lot of people. A lot of his work with VM ended up sounding repetitive imo, because VM"s writing and arranging has been painfully redundant for quite some time. Some of the best bass tones with David are on "Sense of Wonder". One of the biggest disappointments was when Van didn't hire bassist Richard Davis when he did his live remake of "Astral Weeks". Those were some big bass shoes to fill.

4. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Wow, A Sense Of Wonder is one of my personal favorites. Not many folks know it, or if they do, they tend to dismiss it as one of VM's lesser works. I think it's sublime. I'm currently working on my own cover of "If You Only Knew."

Peace, Mike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Moondance is an obvious classic album.
    Yep, I spend many a night playing along to "It's too late to stop now". I think it's an underrated live album. Van is very inconsistent live, but I think it is one of his strongest performances. The Caledonia Soul Orchestra was his best band (IMO), better than the recordings I've heard of earlier and later bands.
    Most of the chord progressions on the album were simple, but I really liked some of his parts. The bass line in Here comes the night was a favorite. His Jazz with flats tone was pretty good.