David Matthews - Sandworms

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by smeet, Dec 5, 2012.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Oh dang, this is f-u-n-k-y!

The bassist is Gary King. What a bass tone! Any clues to how he got this sound? Flatwounds of some kind. Jazz bass? Precision? Distortion from a tube amp?

I can kind of eq my precision with B3K to sound like this, but it doesn't have that solid sound and attack, maybe because I have roundwounds.

2. JimK

JimK

Gary KIng was one of my favourites from back in the day...I saw him twice (w/ Bob James, mid-'80s)...IIRC, he used a Fender Jazz. Not 100% on that, though.
    IIRC, Bass Player mag, once upon a time, did a 1-page thing with him...IIRC, Atlansia Basses were also mentioned.

Other nice King albums are New Yoork Connection(my personal favourite) by Tom Scott & Good King Bad by George Benson.

3. JimK

JimK

Dug out a Gary King article from Bass Player (August 2000/Tony Kanal cover)-

In his '70s hey day, King was playing a semi-hollow Guild (a Starfire-based prototype).
    Examples are: Grover Washington's "Mister Magic", Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Makin' Love", Gatp Barbieri's "Europa", & Tom Scott's New York Connection album.
    Also, King's 17-year/19-album stint with Bob James.
    King sez "...they (engineers) wanted everyone to have the same Fender sound, which was exactly the reason I played the Guild".
    King usually recorded direct with a bit of miked amp, studio compression, & some Eventide chorusing...and used lighter gauge Rotosounds....these strings allowed King to approximate upright bass slides by bending his A-string up by a much as a minor 3rd.
    Overall, his concept was "equal parts R&B & Jazz".
    King's influenecs- Jamerson, Ray Brown, Stevie Wonder, & J.S Bach.

It is King on the Jackson Five's "Blame It On The Boogie".

In this article (from 2000)...King sez he is currently playing Atlansia 4 & 5 string basses.

4. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Damn that tone is dope! great track to.

Sounds like a Fender to me... mids bumped up and starting to hit the cieling of a pre amp tube.

5. Register to disable this ad