1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

David Matthews - Sandworms

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by smeet, Dec 5, 2012.

1. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Oh dang, this is f-u-n-k-y!

The bassist is Gary King. What a bass tone! Any clues to how he got this sound? Flatwounds of some kind. Jazz bass? Precision? Distortion from a tube amp?

I can kind of eq my precision with B3K to sound like this, but it doesn't have that solid sound and attack, maybe because I have roundwounds.
  2. JimK

JimK

Gary KIng was one of my favourites from back in the day...I saw him twice (w/ Bob James, mid-'80s)...IIRC, he used a Fender Jazz. Not 100% on that, though.
    IIRC, Bass Player mag, once upon a time, did a 1-page thing with him...IIRC, Atlansia Basses were also mentioned.

Other nice King albums are New Yoork Connection(my personal favourite) by Tom Scott & Good King Bad by George Benson.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dug out a Gary King article from Bass Player (August 2000/Tony Kanal cover)-

In his '70s hey day, King was playing a semi-hollow Guild (a Starfire-based prototype).
    Examples are: Grover Washington's "Mister Magic", Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Makin' Love", Gatp Barbieri's "Europa", & Tom Scott's New York Connection album.
    Also, King's 17-year/19-album stint with Bob James.
    King sez "...they (engineers) wanted everyone to have the same Fender sound, which was exactly the reason I played the Guild".
    King usually recorded direct with a bit of miked amp, studio compression, & some Eventide chorusing...and used lighter gauge Rotosounds....these strings allowed King to approximate upright bass slides by bending his A-string up by a much as a minor 3rd.
    Overall, his concept was "equal parts R&B & Jazz".
    King's influenecs- Jamerson, Ray Brown, Stevie Wonder, & J.S Bach.

It is King on the Jackson Five's "Blame It On The Boogie".

In this article (from 2000)...King sez he is currently playing Atlansia 4 & 5 string basses.
  4. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Damn that tone is dope! great track to.

Sounds like a Fender to me... mids bumped up and starting to hit the cieling of a pre amp tube.