David Sanborn's "Night Music" TV show (80's): House bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thehess, Oct 20, 2011.

1. thehess

thehess

OK. If you are of a (ahem) somewhat vintage age, and you happened to turn on your TV late on Fridays for a brief period in the late 80's, you caught some amazing live music performances...with some downright righteous outfits, dance moves and hair. :)

My question: Does anyone know who Sanborn's house bassist was? The only person I recognize is Hiram Bullock on guitar.

Listen to the audio on this track.

What a fantastic mix! The bass is right there. Gives me chills (this is one of my favorite tunes from that time in my life) Stay with the whole track...there are some very tasty bits along the way.

I happened on this as I was playing through Clapton's "Journeyman" this week (bass on that album from Nathan East, Darryl Jones, and Pino).

Even if you don't know the answer, I hope this put a smile on your face.
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

That was a great show.

I believe Marcus Miller was the first bassist, then Tom Bailly.
    Sanborn's Son also play bass on some shows.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I think it's Tom Barney but can't tell for sure. I just shot him an e-mail with a link to the vid,
  4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    That's Tom Barney
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thehess

thehess

Very cool. Love his playing on that show. I'll have to look him up. Must have been fun to groove with Clapton AND Cray.
  7. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Barney also followed Marcus into the Miles Davis band band, check out the album 'Star People'. I saw him with Steely Dan and he killed!
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Great show! Used to watch it all the time. I believe Marcus used an SVT/810 while he was on that show, BTW.
  9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I remember Night Music quite fondly. That may have been the last time good music was available on network television! And man, the house band was total badass: Hiram Bullock, Phillipe Saisse, Omark Hakim, & Marcus Miller (later Tom Barney).

Anyone remember the episode where Taj Mahal, Todd Rundgren, Pat Metheny, and Katherine Grey performed a tune from Gilbert & Sullivan's "HMS Pinafore" in full costume?
  10. MixBass

MixBass

Disclosures:
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I only saw a few episodes but one I won't forget was where Bootsy started telling a story,
    which included being on acid, and Dave looked pretty uncomfortable.
  11. randyripoff

randyripoff

Yes, that was quite fun. It was a great show.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
  13. JmJ

JmJ

Nothing at all against Mr. Miller but I thought the band went to the 'next level' when Tom Barney joined up.
  14. thehess

thehess

15. thehess

thehess

Marcus wasn't half bad either...with a duet of TT with Hiram. Seriously, on network TV? Wicked. I hope I can find a better audio version of this...'cause it rocks.

Teen Town - YouTube
  16. thehess

thehess

And two more, with SRV. (RIP to TWO fantastic guitarists, Stevie and Hiram)

Crossfire
    Travis Walk

I know that being a full-time musician is a tough propsition, but also have to figure that working this show was an experience that Tom has tucked away in a special happy place.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Check this page out. Lots of great moments on that show, I tried to catch it every single week.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmmm...could have sworn Marcus was using an Ampeg rig on Night Music. On that Teen Town clip I can't see what he's using but it isn't an SVT.

Never mind.
  19. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Marcus was the original bassist then he left and Tom barney. the show was only on for a "few" years in the early 80's. But I watched it every Sunday night at around 11:30. Great stufff. You cant find anything like that on TV these days.

There was a show on BET Jazz called Studio Jams. Various jazz, rock, R&B and blues musicians would get together and jam music. Most of the time they never played together before. There are about 45 episodes but BET only played the same 12... at least for the 3 years that I (DVR'd it so I never missed an airing)) watched it. I had a long talk with the show creator Tom Emmi about that lol. look it up there was some great stuff happening on Studio jams.
  20. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

This clip was just legendary for me. So much win.

Healing Power
  21. JmJ

JmJ

You are the Man Passinwind. Thanks!