1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DAW song extraction

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Codger, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

We have a Qu-16 mixer that records 18 channels direct to a hard drive. We use it to record a live performance set direct from the board. It works great but it gives 18 wave files, each containing audio for one channel but for the whole recording epoch which could be 6 - 8 songs. I want to extract one song from each of the 18 tracks to work on as a project.

I was going to write a C program that would use a configuration file to do this. Among other things the config file would contain the start and end sample numbers in the wave file that correspond to the start and end of a song (not too difficult using audacity or something). The program would read the config file, open each track's wave file and write that portion to a new file for that track. This would give 18 new wave files for each song, extracted at the same point in each track's master wave file. The config file would allow me to extract all the set's songs at one go, each to its own directory. Then I import a song's wave files into a DAW and the real fun begins.

This is not hard to do but is there a DAW that can do this easily? Each extracted portion will need a new name and possibly saved to a new directory. I expect it will operate by loading all 18 tracks into the DAW (5 GB), then highlighting a song's-worth of samples, across all tracks, then exporting and somehow giving them a new name.
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Sony Soundforge Pro has scripting and Batch processing
    It's expensive, but does the job. Look for a sale, Black Friday you could get it and Vegas for $230.
  3. Chromer

Chromer

In Reaper, I'd set a time selection around the song, and have it export all tracks to a new folder, repeating for each song.

The latest pre-release versions support a render region matrix for batch render, so you'll be able to set all time regions and then have it spit out track wavs for each song all in one go once the next minor version is released.
  4. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

I am not familiar with that board but, does the master out produce its own .wav file? As far as a DAW FL studios would do what you want easily.
  5. Codger

I have Reaper and will try that soon. The only reason I haven't before now is that someone in the band is insisting that I switch to Protools so that we are all using the same DAW.
  6. Codger

Allen & Heath. You can record either a single stereo wav file from a selection of 2-channel buses or 18 mono wavs (16 input channels and a 2-channel patch).
  7. Codger

Success. It worked great w/Reaper.