DB forum Netflix finds thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Troy's thread got me thinking - it might be fun to have a little more action in the "hang" forum down here in prune juice land. I sometimes go to BG OT, but it's got its own thing going on that I can only take in small doses. So, I'll give this a try.

My wife and I have had Netflix for a while, and we have two sets of stuff that we watch - One for family with our 11 year old, one for just the two of us middle aged folk. So far, we've watched/been through:

Family:
    Downton Abbey
    Sherlock
    Foyle's War
    Endeavor
    Wimsey mysteries
    Buncha movies in the family vibe

Fogey:
    Breaking Bad
    Wallander
    X-Files (guilty pleasure)
    Inspector Morse
    Buncha movies in the fogey vibe

We're looking for some new finds in both categories. Lot of people have suggested "House of Cards" for the next fogey watch (although we have the last 8 of Breaking Bad still to go). Please share your list or lists, and I'll take notes!
  2. bassist1962

bassist1962

House of Cards is amazing. The first couple of episodes start a bit slow but keep watching. The show is a "send the kids to bed cuz I'm not gonna go without it" kind of show. It is so good that we planned our Valentine's Day around it because the second season was released that day. It is lots of politics, power, scandal, manipulation and the never-ending battle for more power. Warning: If this was released on cable TV, it would have an "R" rating for language, nudity and strong sexual content.
    Your list shows several British shows. Have you ever thought about Dr. Who, Torchwood or Primeval? They are Sci-Fi that are along the same line as X-Files. I didn't think I'd like them. My wife talked me I to them and they are really good. Torchwood is the British release so the sexual content is a little more graphic, minus nudity, than the U.S. version, but those scenes are not often and not in every episode.
    Kevin Bacon's new show, The Following, is a really good crime/psycho/thriller drama that is good too. It is a fast paced show that grabs you in the first 10 minutes and never lets go.

As far as family goes, dont really know what to tell you. Ours are 15 and 16, so they are in the 'crossover' stage as far as what we watch. Their taste run more toward the American Horror Story type of stuff.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Are you watching the Brit or the Murican HOUSE OF CARDS? We watched the Brit series when it ran on PBS a number of years back, it was big fun.
    We started (re)watching WEST WING recently, it's still the best thing on television.
  4. bassist1962

bassist1962

The American version with Kevin Spacey. Its the updated Netfix produced version.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Based on that list, the fogey's will probably enjoy The Wire. 4 seasons I think. There's a Swedish version of Wallander too. It's good, but I didn't like it as much as the British version.
  7. Fishface

Fishface

Dexter, after the kids are in bed. We are completely hiked after about the first 5-6 episodes.
    Also, Mad Men and Sons of Anarchy.
  8. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

House of Cards, Orange is the new Black. All good but let me ask you folks a question. At night I believe Netflix can not handle the bandwidth - I used to think it was my DSL line but last night when I ran into the same very, very slow signal I switched to Amazon and had my regular speed on the line which leads me to beleiev it is Netflix. Any of you had a problem?
  9. bassist1962

bassist1962

Yes, on occasion. We thought it was our neighborhood DSL because the regular cable messes up also.
  10. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Media:
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Media:
    Great suggestions - when the schedule lets up from all of these 12 hour workdays, we'll queue this stuff up and check it out. I have to say, Netflix has pretty much killed commercial TV for us. The commercials, which were always obnoxious, are completely unbearable now.
  12. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

The original Danish version of the Killing is awesome! The second series isn't great but the first is fantastic.
  13. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Family: Merlin

Fogey: Firefly (only one season and companion movie Serenity)

Amazon Prime opens up other options as well as free two day shipping on most orders. Worth the $7/month.

Family: Falling Skies

Fogey: Justified

Full disclosure- I don't play DB.
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Media:
    John C. - Since the last 8 of Breaking Bad don't arrive until Tuesday night, the wife and I fogeywatched the first two episodes of the Following last night. It's a bit more plot/action based than the British stuff we're used to (and the people are *way* too pretty - I've got family in Virginia, and the population don't look like that!), but Kevin Bacon is good and the storyline is compelling, so we'll likely follow up on that at some point.

My wife has checked out "Orange is" and said it was OK, so we might go there. She also checked out "House of Cards" a bit while I was out gigging and reported that it was "about a bunch of slimy politicians" and that she wasn't all that interested. I can dig it.

Thanks for the great recommendations - I'll keep this bookmarked.
  15. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Netflix has pretty much killed commercial TV for us. The commercials, which were always obnoxious, are completely unbearable now.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I started with Hulu and thought it was great, even with the commercials, but they lost me when I subscribed for Hulu Plus and discovered, to my dismay, that they were still showing the commercials despite the monthly fee!
    Netflix for me, no contest.

BTW I found the Danish? TV series Rita
    to be quite enjoyable.
  16. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue

I see that "When We Left Earth" is now on Netflix. Great mini-series on the space race with a ton of interviews from the folks who were there (Gene Kranz, Neil Armstrong, etc...) Narrated by Gary Sinise. Highly recommended.
  17. BrettBelanger

BrettBelanger

I really liked Lost. Also enjoyed The Office and How I Met Your Mother.
  18. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

19. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

I'll have to give Breaking Bad a try although I usually don't go for shows that "everyone" likes. I'm suffering serious withdrawal after finishing the final season of "Burn Notice"
    It's basically the Avengers (tv show) meets the A-team but with cooler characters and
    Bruce Campbell!
  20. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

I got hooked on 24. Careful! It's addictive, too. I watched all 8 seasons and am waiting for the new one to come out.
  21. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

Scandinavian Crime Drama has been very popular over here in the UK and I have watched all of the Wallander series and the Killing.

The second series of "the Bridge" just finished on the BBC and it was really good - joint Swedish/Danish crime drama - I now have withdrawal symptoms from Scandiness - which was only assuaged when Nigel Slater (British TV Chef) made a doc. series visiting Sweden, Denmark, Norway and looking at the culture. ;)