DB players: How often do you take lessons

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by NickyBass, Jun 8, 2012.

How often do you take lessons?

1. Once a week

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Every two weeks

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Once a month

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Less than once a month

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

This is mostly out of curiosity. I used to take lessons once a week, but just started doing once every 2 weeks. After the summer, I was thinking about once a month. What do you guys do? And why?

2. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

Less than once a month.

I would do if more frequently, but my teacher lives over 60 miles away, and we both are very busy. I would like to do one every 2-4 weeks.

3. AClark

AClark

Most of the time it's once a week but I rarely get lessons with my teacher during the summer or holidays because of busy schedules and music camps.

I like once a week because it gives me time to think about what he taught me but it's not so long to where I forget what we focused on. It also motivates me to practice because I know I don't have much time to procrastinate.

4. Kamuilija

Kamuilija

Two weeks to once a month. This spring, my teacher has been very busy with a new project, we haven't met very often. Before this (and I hope after the summer too), every two weeks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

It depends on the level. More beginner students do well with a higher frequency but when I studied with symphony / lyric opera guys it would take me a solid two weeks to learn and practice all the literature. So, depends on the level / player / situation.

7. tww001

tww001

I agree with MostlyBass. When I was younger I needed a lesson every single week, and almost all of my students in middle school, high school, and college come see me weekly. However, I only get lessons 3 or 4 times a year generally, mostly because of my busy schedule and the depth of the topics in the lessons I've been taking.

8. baileyboy

baileyboy

For my first 3 years, I had a lesson once a week. Because the band I'm with rapidly updates its song list, I find I just don't have time for both. For the last few months I have been going once a month.

9. funkcicle

funkcicle

I'm self taught and still haven't been able to get upright lessons... when I have the money I can't seem to find the time, and when I have the most time and motivation it's because I'm not working enough to afford instruction!

10. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies! I am thinking that once a month would be a good idea. I think I will be getting enough stuff that it would take me a month to get through.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

guess it depends on where you're at in your development. for many years i had lessons once a week. many many years. there was even a time when i practiced 10 hours a day i was taking 3 lessons a week or more. a jazz double bass lesson, a classical lesson, and an electric lesson, and i was also studying with ted dunbar (guitar player) at the time. now for me its like once a year. i know what i need to work on, but sometimes its nice to get a different perspective, or to just sit next to a master and hear him play and try to copy. nowadays, the less talking in my lessons the better. i like just playing back and forth. i get more out of it that way. (edit: ive been playing for 25 years...)

12. danceswithbass

danceswithbass

If I had the time/money I'd take every week. I studied with Virgina Dixon (of Suzuki fame) and she was one of the best teachers I've had, regardless of subject.

13. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

I'm taking lessons weekly since I'm still new at DB and don't want to develop too many bad habits. I'll evealuate my situation as I progess and decide how many times I want to meet with an instructor in the future.

14. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

Every two weeks when time allows. Things come up and gigs get in the way, so sometimes I have stretches of no lessons.

15. blikeng

blikeng

Still studying, so once a week for me. But we work it out so that it is actually possible to get through the "homework" before next lesson. I don't mind having too much to do though, when you're studying music you shouldn't be too busy with anything else than practice anyways :)

16. Will Yager

Will Yager

I'm still in school so once a week for me.

17. RobbieBass

RobbieBass

I generally have one about once every 5 or 6 weeks. Usually by then I have 4 or 5 issues that I just can't seem to work through on my own. I think once a week as a disciplined adult is a bit much, given work, family etc. I'd say two lessons every 3 months is good. Also, see if your teacher will give 2 hour lessons instead of 1 hour. Makes a huge difference.

18. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

My teacher is a symphony player and I try to have a lesson a week. However, because I will have Jazz Choir/Jazz Band/Choir/Orchestra trips a lot, it might end up being once every 1.5-2 weeks. However, I also occasionally will have a lesson or two with other teachers to get different perspectives on things. And my main teacher is the principal of a symphony so he's really busy, even though I am only one of six students.

19. chuck3

chuck3

Once or twice a month. Very important to me.

My current DB teacher, Jackson Hill, just had his pic in the NY Times playing with a jazz trio, very exciting for him. You only see his back, but still ...

[​IMG]

20. chuck3

chuck3

Didn't notice this was in the "orchestral technique" thread. I don't play in an orchestra, although I have some orchestration experience. However, what I'm working on with my teacher is reading and bowing, to be able to do that in addition to pizz, jazz etc. I'd love to play in an orchestra, but even if that never happens I can bring a lot to the groups I play with by knowing those techniques.