DB sources in S. Michigan/N. Ohio

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ric426, Feb 23, 2003.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

OK, I've read all the "Buying a Bass" type threads and I'm about ready to buy my first double bass, but I want to make sure I don't overlook any possibilities in my area. Anyone have any recommendations for luthiers or other reputable sources in southern Michigan or northwestern Ohio?
    I've already checked out Wilson's Fine Violins (I know you don't think I should go anywhere else Mike...) and Elderly Instruments, but there must be others.
    I know there are plenty of good online sources, but I'm not gonna buy *anything* without playing it first and having my teacher check it out as well.

thanks,
    Ric
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

As always, I recommend a trip to southern Ohio to the Cincinnati Bass Cellar. Tons of great basses and alot of professional assistance.

Call Andy Stetson at 513.661.6224 or visit:

http://www.cinternet.net/~astetson
  3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hey Ric, I'm here in Toledo. I'm looking for somewhere to go too. Where's Wilsons and Elderly at? I've been to all the local places here in Toledo, all they give me is a blank stare when I start talking DB to them. I just bought my upright at Mars going out of business sale. I was looking for a pickup for it, unfortunately the only one in town I could find is the old fishman. I bought it and unfortunately found out later on how "good" it actually is. So I'm definitely looking for someone to check the setup on it and a new pickup system.
  4. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Hi Chris,
    Wilson's Fine Violins is in Birmingham, MI about 10 mile north of Detroit. It's definitely a high end string shop, but they do carry some student instruments. I get the impression that they can do just about any kind of setup or repair, and seem to have a lot of collective bass knowledge and experience. Their number is (248) 258-0370
    Elderly Instruments is in Lansing. They're more of a guitar oriented shop, but do carry quite a few acoustic instruments, including a lot of violins and a few basses. I think their repair department is also more guitar oriented, so I can't really say how good they'd be for bass setups and repairs. They'd probably have a bigger selection of pickups than Wilson's and they're usually pretty good about letting you try things out. The place can be a zoo on Saturdays though. I don't have their phone number but they're on the web at :
    http://www.elderly.com

HTH,
    Ric
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Thanks for the info!
  7. mje

mje Supporting Member

Wilson's used to be Dennis Lake, Luthier. (Dennis took in Rob as an apprentice,m and then a partner, and after some years sold Rob his share and moved to Hawaii.)

Rob repairs and sells all strings but he specializes in basses. He's making some nice bass bows, too.