DB tone on EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Mar 22, 2014.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

I play an Eminence. I'm into the jazzy side of things. I use a Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum which does enhance the sound of the Eminence. I am trying to get as close to the DB sound as much as I can. Is there anything else in 'The chain' I could add to get me closer the the DB sound?--what piece of equipment do you use?
  2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Strings would be the first thing I'd look into.
    Orchestral strings usually have some damping material that makes them darker, thumpier and therefore have less ring, less sustain.
  3. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Many thanks for the tip--much appreciated.

Mike
  4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

An Acoustic Double Bass. :eek:

Seriously, even an amplified (by way of a bridge pickup) acoustic Double Bass doesn't sound like a Double Bass.

You can get close to that sound, with the set up you already have.

Too much of the sound, of an Acoustic Double Bass, comes from places other than just the bridge.
  5. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Many thanks for your reply Stick_Player.
    Yes I totally agree with all three of your answers-Butworth experementing with to get closer to my goal and I only have a lifetime left!
  6. bobsax

bobsax

You would think that the Eminence would come with the most Acoustic sounding strings available since it is the most popular of the hallow body EUB's and most folks are trying to sound like a DB.
    What strings are you using now Mike?
    Did they come with the instrument?
    Is it a 4 or 5 string?

Did you ever try the BSX Allegro?
  7. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    My name is not Mike, since you quoted me.
  8. bobsax

bobsax

Sorry eub player for your confusion
    I quoted you but the question was to Mike regarding your quote
  9. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Asking an Electric Upright Bass, like the Eminence, to sound like an "Acoustic" (unamplified) Upright bass is rather unfair. The Eminence (or EUB of your choice) is being played through electronic equipment, and is being altered by that equipment in varying degrees.

What a bass like the Eminence DOES sound like, though, is an amplified upright bass. Meaning, the best you could ask for is that the EUB would sound like a "real" bass with a pickup on it. That's a much fairer comparison, and the Eminence, et al, are pretty fully up to the task in that regard.
    kaybass1952 likes this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Adding a very slight amount of reverb can make a EUB sound a little more like a DB. Think of the body of an acoustic like a small room. It has it's own natural reverb.
  11. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Reply to bobsax. The strings that came with the Eminence I did not like---tried a set of Spirocore Weichs--very much better. Tried a set of Inovation 'Honeys'--very good. Tried a set of Velvet 'Garbo'--not so good (To my ears anyway.) The bass is 4 string.
  12. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

I like the Weichs on the bass as well. I have a 5 string.