DB750 + ACME B2 = Tone Heaven

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by matt11, Feb 2, 2014.

1. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

People have different ideas about what a good tone is, I know, but I have found MY tone heaven. I play mostly original country/latin/jazzy pop/rock. I play fender P's and J's and use no effects other than an EBS multicomp on Tube setting and sometimes a hint of Analogman chorus. I've been playing either an Eden WT550B or my Aggie DB750 into an Eden 210xst/210xlt rig for the last ten years. I really liked the full Eden rig--which I since sold--but could never find the right cab match for the DB750--and I tried a bunch, including Aguilar cabs. Just picked up a mint second hand Series 2 4ohms Low B2 for $250.00: holy smokes! for my sound (fat, deep, smooth) this rig is unbeatable. The mid-range detail is simply gorgeous with the attenuator almost zeroed, and there is so much smooth thump on the bottom. I slightly roll off the tweeter, and the harmonic content is beautiful, not at all harsh or zingy. The cab is super-accurate (the similarity between the DI-out post-eq tone and the sound from the cab is almost indistinguishable to my ears). Can't recommend this pairing enough for anyone who likes a really smooth, deep, fat but still detailed kind of tone. Now I just need to keep my eyes peeled for a second Series 2 in the Talkbass classifieds!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

A pair of B2s is my go to system. I would not even try to gig with just one, I own four, but a pair in a vertical stack does everything I ask of them.

Edit: P.S. The low end out of them is really quite addictive! :D

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

ACME makes great cabs. I remember the first time I heard one, some guy in a jazz fusion band was playing through a little ACME 110 (un-mic'd) and I could hear every single note! He was a great player, no slop, but he was getting that Jeff Berlin tone from the early Bruford albums. Sweeeeet....

4. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

You lucky man! I'll be completely rig-fulfilled with just one more! Quick question: are your all series 2? Or do you combine series 2 and series 3?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

Yeah--that's a perfect bass sound as far as I'm concerned.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Series III? Paul has had his Acmes for a number of years, so I doubt very much that any of them is a Series III. If memory serves, two of them are Series I and the other two are Series II. Is that right, Paul? :meh:

MM